LouieB on the radio - R&B Flashback

Entering the relentless self promotion cycle.  I am again back on the air (WNUR.org) this Sunday at 5:30 PM central time.  This is right before the Super Bowl so turn off the sound on the irritating pre-show and listen to my irritating show instead. I will be playing well known soul and R&B figures this time (not the obscure stuff I try and play most of the time), but even the material will not be the obvious material from the stars of the genre.  Check me out while you gulp down your first couple bears and wings or whatever you do.  Thanks.

Edit - I will be playing folks you know like Otis Redding, Solomon Burke, Sam Cooke, Etta James, Louis Jordan, Sam and Dave, Bobby Womack, Bettye LaVette, Funkadelic, etc.  Not the hits necessarily (in fact not at all) but stuff that's fun.  All I can fit in.  Some blues too maybe.

LouieB

Man, when I lived on the northside, NUR and Loyola's station were pretty much the only stations I listened too. Sounds like you are spinning the good stuff, nice!

• 3 weeks later...

I know tomorrow is the Oscars, but I am back hosting R&B Flashback (was also on last week and forgot to post.)

Tune in this week for a couple from the new Pops Staples LP.  Also lots of 45s, LPs, CDs with assorted soul, R&B, funk, and gospel.  Don't miss this one if you have not tuned in before. And if you have to watch the Oscars, record it.  WNUR.org or 89.3 in Chicago.  5:30 PM central time on February 22. This is my last show for a month. Thanks.

LouieB

• 3 months later...

Okay now this is different.  The R&B flashback got canceled (no it wasn't my shoddy DJing that did it) so I put in a bid to do the Classical and Beyond show (I know you got to be shitting me...!!!) as a sub instead.  I did this a month ago and I guess I did okay because I am doing it again this Saturday at 1-4 PM central time, still on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM in Chicago. 

I am teamed up with my old music friend John and we are going to play some symphonic Ornette Coleman, lots of Stockhausen, new works performed by the Wicker Park Choral Singers (great local group), Steve Reich and Alan Ginsberg, and some other stuff.  It's a nice leisurely show without the constant changing of records every 3 minutes.  Give us a listen if you have a chance this Saturday.  I hope to do this once a month during the summer.  It isn't rock and roll but it still can be fun.  (We may play the classical acoustic version of Metal Machine Music.) 

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

Flogging my itinerant DJing again. I will be on the air this Saturday at 1 PM Central on WNUR.org or 89.3 in Chicago doing the Classical and Beyond show. This week are Russian composers.  Give me a listen if you get a chance.

Thanks.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

Not R&B but doing the Classical and Beyond Show again this Saturday August 1 at 1 -4 PM on WNUR.org or 89.3 in Chicago.  This week we are doing modern American composers.  There will be lots of John Zorn, Samuel Barber, John Harbison, Philip Glass (covering Alan Ginsburg's words), Mason Bates, John Corigliano (covering Bob Dylan's Words), John Adams, and finally Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music done acoustically (just a bit of this.)  We have a couple other shows worth of music ready to go, so the next few my friend John and I do will be similar. The Zorn is in the modern classical vein, not the crazy avant jazz some folks are used to.

Tune in for a bit, it will be fun. Requests taken for future shows.

LouieB 

• 2 weeks later...

Busy today?  If you are home or out riding in a car in Chicago, tune me in doing a fill in slot on WNUR.org at 4 PM central time. (Or 89.3 FM in Chicago.) I am going do an R&B Flashback flashback. This is not scheduled, but the Lotus Beat is off so I am going to substitute my old gig for 90 minutes. I have some great music lined up by the greats, the obscure, some old school R&B, some soul, some blues, some soul jazz, and some gospel.  Oh screw it, here is my tentative set list to hook a few people.  Nearly all of this is on vinyl (for you purists).  

Instrumentals

1. Funky Butt – The Delegates

2. The Bar-Kays – Don't Do That

3. Moanin – Shirley Scott Trio

Jazz/soul

1. Nina Simone – Mississippi Goddamn

2. Oscar Brown Jr. - Work Song (Side 1 cut 1)

Blues

1. BB King – Recession Blues

2. Otis Spann- Must have Been the Devil (Side 1 cut 4)

3. Magic Sam- San Ho Zay (Side 1 Cut 1)

4. Muddy Waters – County Jail (Side 1, cut 4)

Gospel

1. Angelic Gospel Singers – Yes He'll Take Care of You

2. Big Maybelle – Yes Indeed (side 1 cut 3)

3. Al Green – Morning Star (side 1 cut 4)

R&B

1. Redd Lyte (the Johnny Otis Show) (Side 1 cut 2)

Major figures

1. Solomon Burke – Take me (Just as I am)

2. James Brown – Ain't a Groove

3. Jerry Butler - Thanks to You

4. Mavis Staples – Love Gone Bad

5. Arthur Alexander – Detroit City

6. Aretha Franklin – Running Out of Fools (side 4 cut 1)

7. Funkadelic – Can you Get to That

Obscure

1. Otis LaVelle – I Need You

2. Bob and Earl - I'll Keep Running Back

3. Fred Hughes – My Heart Cries Oh

4. Al Wilson – Listen to Me

5. The Nutmegs – Story Untold (side 1 cut one)

6. The Notations – A New Day (Side 1 cut one)

Finish

James and Bobby Purify -Wish You didn't have to go

Needless to say not all of this will fit into the 90 minutes, but I promise to shut up and play as much as I can. Will be back spinning modern classical next Saturday, but give this one a listen if you have time.  That's today August 18.

LouieB

This week on Classical and Beyond we will be spinning more "indigenous American Berserk" in more ways than one. Join Lou Berkman and John Martin this Saturday August 22 from 1 to 4 PM central time on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM in Chicago for some insightful and provocative (and berserk) late summer music. Featuring all American composers including George Gershwin, Wadada Leo Smith ("Ten Freedom Summers"), Lewis Spratlan ("A Summers Day"), John Adams (American Berserk"), Leonard Bernstein, Richard Danielpour, Howard Hanson, John Corigliano (putting new music to Bob Dylan), John Zorn, and Lou Reed (finally). We are playing the hippest square music for all the "long hairs". Check us out and pass the word.

Next month we will play rock musicians playing classical music. Send us your requests now.

LouieB

• 4 weeks later...

One more change. This week I am doing a free form show.  This week is Sunday September 20 from 4-530 Central time on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM in Chicago.  So rather than stick to one genre I will be playing a bit of everything (no metal or rap though).  While I enjoy the genre shows, I am really looking forward to playing a mix of things. This is going to be a regular gig, the third Sunday of each month for the moment.  I am subbing in for the south Asian show so who knows, I may play some Indian music just for the heck of it.

Will be happy to play some requests in the future.

LouieB

Really guys, this is going to be a bunch of fun (see above).  I am going to play a bunch of Dylan covers, some blues, some jazz, some new releases (some you know some you don't).  Tune in .  WNUR.org tomorrow Sunday at 4.

LouieB

Sick of this yet?  I am back spinning classical and modern classical this Saturday at 1 PM central, as usual on WNUR.org.  This week (set list not yet nailed down) will be classical type music done by rock and jazz figures.  We should be playing Zappa, John Cale, Anthony Braxton, Philip Glass,  maybe some Glenn Kotche, more John Zorn, etc.  Tune me in for some fun on September 26.  Requests? (Will check the microphone levels this week....oops.)

LouieB