LouieB on the radio - R&B Flashback

I have not done any shameless self promotion for my radio gigs on here to this point, but your luck ran out. 

I am an occasional host on the R&B Flashback show on WNUR (Northwestern University) and this Sunday August 18, 2013 is another one of my shows.  It is at 5-7 Central Time on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM if you live on the northside of Chicago.  I am by no means an expert on this type of music, but I play what I like, so this week is some obscure material from the Fame Studio, Savoy R&B (Roots of Rock and Roll), a bit of gospel and maybe a touch of Numero Group. 

Listen in for some interesting music, some technical flubs, a few awkward radio moments, and hopefully a good time.  Thanks in advance. 

This a great show even when I am not on  (more likely when I am not on).  Listen in on other weeks for writer and true expert Bill Dahl's selections and comments. He really knows his stuff.

LouieB

Sorry that I missed this. Is there a podcast of it anywhere?

You got a playlist to post? I would love to see what you played.

No and no.  I had a set list, but punted so many times I am not sure exactly what I played.  Mostly it was unreleased material from Fame Studio, some 50s and 60s gospel and then a whole bunch of 40s and 50s Savoy R&B.  Will give more notice next time.  Played way too many LPs. 

LouieB

Man, I loved listening to NUR! You never knew what you were gonna get by tuning in. Same with Loyola's station....

Fame?

You play anything from that Dan Penn Fame collection?

One of my first shows I did a bunch of Dan Penn and some Spooner Oldham too.  One of the Kent collections is nothing but their material done by themselves and lots of the Fame crew. Great stuff.  I did end the show with I'm Your Puppet as an outro.

I feel very honored to be on the air at NUR.  It is a great station and my technical skills still leave something to be desired, but  I only forgot to turn on the mic once yesterday so that was pretty good.  Working to get on CHIRP too, but that's a whole different bag.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Giving a bit more notice this time.  I will be on WNUR.org or 89.3 here in Chicago this Sunday September 22 at 5-7 PM.  Hope for less dead air.

I will be playing cuts from the Specialty Records Catalogue, Numero's Twinight comp, a flashback of Sly Stone, a bunch of soul singles I just got, a Staple Singers piece about MLK, and I will also tie in the Replacements reunion to R&B. 

Tune in if you can (stand it.)

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Bumping this again. I am back on WNUR.org this Sunday from 5:30 PM until 7 PM playing soul and R&B and trying not to screw up.

This week I am featuring material from Numero Group's Prix Eccentric Soul Comp and United Records along with some odds and ends you may or may not know. A special section on white R&B from folks you would not expect. Will I play something from Mavis Staples? Depends on the time. And listen in for some off color or strange songs as well, plus a few instrumentals.

Thanks for listening in advance.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Bumping this again. I am back abusing the airwaves on WNUR 89.3 on the northside in Chicago or WNUR.org anywhere in the world on Sunday December 15 at 5:30 Central time. More crazy R&B including material from Aladdin Records, Delmark' series on Honkers and Bar Walkers, a song featured in the book "The Warmth of Other Suns", a selection of LP cuts and scratchy 45s, and maybe a soul Christmas song or two. Should be fun. I got some flack for some stuff I played last time, but will probably not do anything outrageous if I can help it. But I might not be able to help it.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Bumping again.

Got cabin fever? I've got the cure. Tune in to hear me stumble through the R&B Flashback show Sunday February 9 at 5:30 CT on WNUR.org or 89.3 on the north side. This week I will feature the sounds of the Twin Cities soul and funk scene brought to you by Número Group and Secret Stash Records. Also a selection of Modern Records out of LA, early solo Neville Brothers, and selections from Tompkins Square gospel comp "This May Be My Last Time Singing". Plus all the odds and ends I can fit in during 90 minutes such as new Sharon Jones and a few strange songs to keep it interesting.

Set you smart phone or your dumb calendar. I will be done before the Beatles 50th anniversary that night. (Hey the Beatles loved American R&B.) Thanks!!

LouieB

• 1 month later...

I am on again today Sunday at 530 Central time. WNUR.org or 89;3.  Planning lots more than I can get on including some Numero, New Orleans, profane and sacred, early Little Richard, current Sharon Jones, and some stuff you wouldn't expect and I probably shouldn't play.

LouieB

• 6 months later...

Somehow i managed to get asked back to be on the radio this year.  I will be doing a short set during the relaunched R &B Flashback Sunday October 5 at 530 PM Central time.  I will be doing this about once a month. Check me out if you have time. This week are the 20th century Russians - Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Scriabin, and Shostakovich. 

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Here we go again. I am back on WNUR.org this Sunday at 5:30 PM CT Got all kinds of cool stuff planned including some Dylan soul, white guys playing R&B, more Numero Group singles, crazy 45s, Stevie Wonder (he is in town tonight), some older blues, and who knows what else I can squeeze in my 90 minutes. Give me a listen if you can.

89/.3 FM in Chicago or WNUR.org on the net. It can be had through Tunein Radio too.

LouieB

Here we go again. I am back on WNUR.org this Sunday at 5:30 PM CT Got all kinds of cool stuff planned including some Dylan soul, white guys playing R&B, more Numero Group singles, crazy 45s, Stevie Wonder (he is in town tonight), some older blues, and who knows what else I can squeeze in my 90 minutes. Give me a listen if you can.

89/.3 FM in Chicago or WNUR.org on the net. It can be had through Tunein Radio too.

LouieB

Do you have the Jelly Roll Morton version of Winin' Boy Blues? That would get you kicked off for sure. :lol

• 1 month later...

Okay....back again this Sunday December 28 at 5:30 PM central on WNUR.org or 89.3 in Chicago.  This week - more Dylan soul, country soul, Numero Omnibus, Odds and ends including Bill Withers, Gerri Granger, New Orleans, something contemporary, and Nashboro Gospel.  Tune me in while you eat leftovers or watch sports. Thanks

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting to be a regular thing. I am back on this Sunday, January 11 at 5:30 PM Central time on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM on Chicago's north side.  More Numero, lots of crunchy singles, Magic Sam, Nashboro gospel, Isaac Hayes, New Orleans R&B and the Justin Townes Earle that didn't work last time I was on.  Plus lots of pithy between song comments.  It's going to be cold so tune me in between football games.  Just 90 minutes of music.  Thanks.

LouieB