Heard A Tribe Called Quest for the first time

I never thought I'd praise a rap, hip-hop album, but The Low End Theory is such an extraordinary record with very smooth sounds, I could listen to this all day. I think the whole album sounds like it was an entire, very large song, the vocals allowing you to surf on a wave of jazzy beats. 

Hell yeah. Congrats on discovering a great album. At some point you may want to get familiar with their follow-up, Midnight Marauders. And to a lesser extent, their debut. Other than that, you can ignore their output, pretty much. Other hiphop records you may enjoy, based on this development: De La Soul's Buhloone Mindstate, Jurassic 5's Quality Control, and The Roots' Things Fall Apart.

classic album. 

also check out digable planets' blowout comb. i only recently discovered that one myself but it nails that smooth jazz rap vibe i loved about the low end theory. the rapping isn't as badass as q-tip but the beats are so good

id add pretty much any roots album to that list too. They've alway had a jazzy edge but the past few records have been darker and really awesome. one of my favorite bands going at the moment

It's not often rap albums can stand the test of time. They seem to easily fade and become pieces, for me, of nostalgia. The Low End Theory is one that sounds as fresh today as the day I bought it. Funny story, my friends and I were in a record store shortly after TLET came out and I put 2 cd's behind my back. Shaba Ranks and A Tribe Called Quest. I asked my friend to pick an arm.....the rest was high school history. Looking back i can't imagine the disappointment we would've shared had we been bumping "Shaba!" that year. Hahaha

Ccongrats on your discovery!

And I second PBO's (hahaha) recommendation of Buhloone Mindstate. Their style of delivery is different than ATCQ but just as unique and entertaining. That record, too, is as fresh today as it was 20 years ago.

I never thought I'd praise a rap, hip-hop album, but The Low End Theory is such an extraordinary record with very smooth sounds, I could listen to this all day. I think the whole album sounds like it was an entire, very large song, the vocals allowing you to surf on a wave of jazzy beats. 

Yay you! The very apex of rap music.