I am not ashamed to admit that I like the Eagles.  I'm a guitar guy, and the Don Felder/Joe Walsh duo is/was one of the best.

However, I have always considered them to be the pioneers of what we know today as pop country...  :yucky

They may be guilty of many thing, but being a pioneer of pop country should not be laid at their feet.

They may be guilty of many thing, but being a pioneer of pop country should not be laid at their feet.

They were one of the firsts to combine happy feelgood country with rock.  Todays pop country is happy feelgood country with rock undertones.  You tell me there's not a disturbing similarity.  

Gram came before, but The Eagles were probably the first to have sustained success with it, and that's what it takes (or took back then) for the industry to see dollar signs and star mining for copycat gold.

I was little in the 70s, but I knew about the Eagles.  When Henley busted out in the early 80s, I hated him, but didn't know he was from the Eagles.  Same with Glenn Frey.   Anyway, All She Wants to Do is Dance is one of his songs I actually liked back then.  Loved Lou Barlow's comments!

I really like the music.  Some of it I'm totally bored of, but Hotel California and The Long Run are great albums.  That being said, Henley and Frey are two of the biggest assholes in the world!  Check out their recent movie History of the Eagles.  What I find interesting is that their main talent is being opportunists and taking advantage of others.  EVERYTHING popular they have done has involved a silent, secret ingredient that has made it good, if not classic. All of their hits were either co-written with someone else or totally written by someone else.  Take it Easy is a Jackson Browne song for God's sake.  Don Felder fucking wrote the killer riff of Hotel California.  Him and Joe Walsh wrote the solo.  Joe Walsh wrote Life in the Fast Lane.  Bob Seeger wrote Heartache Tonight!  See my point?  It goes on from there.  The fact that they fired Don Felder just pisses me off.  What's quite telling is that Henley's solo work was palatable because he co-wrote.  Glenn did to, but it still sucked! Good Times!