Mermaid Avenue (s) on vinyl

Hmmmm.... No Mermaid on the official list?

I saw that too.  Bull Moose Records still lists them on their Black Friday Releases.  Their release day says 11/24 (Sunday), rather than 11/29 like everything else.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/15403968/bragg-billy-wilco-mermaid-avenue-2lp-180-gram-vinyl-record-store-day-exclusive

In some respects they are right on point with the prieces.  Used copies of the first Mermaid Avenue sell for $75 and up, so you could argue they are offering brand new copies for half of what you pay for used copies. 

And I will pay the $40 so I have probably lost my mind.

The difference is that used copies of MA have collectable value, which the new ones will not, but I will probably lose my mind as well when push comes to shove, because at least I would like the outtakes if they are on vinyl although I am pretty sure the entire CD package with the outtakes is now way less then 40 on the used market so maybe not.

LouieB

The originals doesn't hold any real collectable value for me - I know if I don't have it and I want it, I have to pay that premium.  But I am more than happy to sell my VG original copy for $60 or $70 and buy a mint reissue for $40.  Which I guess I should probably do now.

How is this?

Because original pressings go for more money on the collectable market than reissues. If you don't collect records you may not know this, which I understand. I have looked for original MA LPs on Reprise and they can go for over $100. The reissues even at $40 will depreciate when opened and may or may not appreciate with time. Hard to tell.

LouieB

Because original pressings go for more money on the collectable market than reissues. If you don't collect records you may not know this, which I understand. I have looked for original MA LPs on Reprise and they can go for over $100. The reissues even at $40 will depreciate when opened and may or may not appreciate with time. Hard to tell.

LouieB

There are MA pressings on Reprise? I have an original but it's on Elektra, Billy Bragg's label.

There are MA pressings on Reprise? I have an original but it's on Elektra, Billy Bragg's label.

Sorry you are right...WEA all the same corporation right? Got momentarily confused but essentially it is the same company.

LouieB

The difference is that used copies of MA have collectable value, which the new ones will not, but I will probably lose my mind as well when push comes to shove, because at least I would like the outtakes if they are on vinyl although I am pretty sure the entire CD package with the outtakes is now way less then 40 on the used market so maybe not.

LouieB

i'll buy the reissue for listening and keep my sealed original pressing for investment. I keep telling my wife my vinyl collection is one of her 401K's when i die. Hopefully she won't just garage sale them. :blink  Although i have been keeping a accurate inventory and estimated value for her. 

I personally love reissues of rare albums. If i have the original in my collection i can shelf it and still enjoy the music in analogue.

• 1 month later...