From My Morning Jacket's website:

Earlier this month Jim James, Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens (Carolina Chocolate Drops) Taylor Goldsmith (Dawes), Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons) and producer T Bone Burnett gathered in Capitol Studios to create music for two-dozen recently discovered lyrics written by Bob Dylan during 1967. Tremendous generosity was shown by Bob in sharing these lyrics. 

The album, Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes, is set to be released later this year and will be accompanied by a documentary titled, Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued, directed by Sam Jones (the Wilco documentary, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart). The film will present an exclusive and intimate look at the making of Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes set against the important and historical cultural backdrop of Bob Dylan’s original Basement Tapes

http://mymorningjacket.com/news/205573

It's kinda scary how damn prolific Dylan was back then. I'm not usually a fan of "covers" projects but this one sounds pretty cool,

I'm hoping for more Jim James/Costello/Giddens than Mumford.

I second that.

I wonder if they approached Jeff for this project.

I hate to be cynical, but this just sounds so pretentious.  Especially the documentary aspect of it.  Lots of shots of the 'guys' sitting around creating and working in a pristine studio with candles and shit.  Probably a black and white film.  Not a fan of that fake shit and not a fan of Jim James and can't understand why he's the go to guy for this stuff.  He's ruined his legacy, as far as I'm concerned with MMJ's last two albums and his solo album.  Hell, he used a song written by John Stirrat on that Woody Guthrie project with Farrar.  

That being said, I will check this out.  Go figure  :headbonk

I hate to be cynical, but this just sounds so pretentious.  Especially the documentary aspect of it.  Lots of shots of the 'guys' sitting around creating and working in a pristine studio with candles and shit.  Probably a black and white film.  Not a fan of that fake shit and not a fan of Jim James and can't understand why he's the go to guy for this stuff.  He's ruined his legacy, as far as I'm concerned with MMJ's last two albums and his solo album.  Hell, he used a song written by John Stirrat on that Woody Guthrie project with Farrar.  

That being said, I will check this out.  Go figure  :headbonk

It does seem like some of theses guys are simply out of ideas. At some point everyone has to embrace their own legacy and just keep playing the same old songs for the fans. Sorry, that's how life is. I suppose trying to be relevant by unearthing a bunch of second or third rate lyrics has some validity. It worked well for Mermaid Avenue, but less so for subsequent projects in the same vein.

There are performers out there who do the same repertoire year in and year out and make a fine living off of it. At some point that has to be okay I think. But maybe there guys are going to milk some other cow for awhile before they fall back on that.

Oh yea nnd I will buy it too. I bought the Hank Williams lyrics LP and have listened to it exactly once. Nice effort all around, but other than that????

LouieB

Good points all by Vacant Horizon. Especially the candles  :lol

I refuse to watch any vids of this stuff. If someday I buy the result I would rather not know.

A while ago I heard a concert and then bought a CD of a guy who wrote music to Dylan's songs but discarded the music and put the lyrics to very modern vocal style. The result was horrid, but kind of funny on some level. Mermaid Avenue was lightening in a bottle that has not been easy to recapture. It just seems kind of a fools errand to do this.

LouieB

From My Morning Jacket's website:

Earlier this month Jim James, Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens (Carolina Chocolate Drops) Taylor Goldsmith (Dawes), Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons) and producer T Bone Burnett gathered in Capitol Studios to create music for two-dozen recently discovered lyrics written by Bob Dylan during 1967. Tremendous generosity was shown by Bob in sharing these lyrics. 

The album, Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes, is set to be released later this year and will be accompanied by a documentary titled, Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued, directed by Sam Jones (the Wilco documentary, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart). The film will present an exclusive and intimate look at the making of Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes set against the important and historical cultural backdrop of Bob Dylan’s original Basement Tapes

http://mymorningjacket.com/news/205573

I like the idea of this...better now than 50 years from now. This could be really interesting.

I like the idea of this...better now than 50 years from now. This could be really interesting.

Perhaps. Let's see how it turns out. Maybe some young cats 50 years from now would have deserved a crack at it and these dudes are ruining that chance.

LouieB