Now Playing: May/June/July/August 2014

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a1634292171_2.jpg

^^^

Been listening to that one quite a bit lately.

NP:

jpeg.jpg

bahamas9.jpg

Bahamas - Bahamas Is Afie

Good record for this warm summer day.

Trying to get caught up on 2014 releases.

Here are 4 I picked up this week. Spent the last 48 hours with them. Time for initial impressions:

61PQ3fNou7L._SY100_.jpg

Blah. It's not awful, but it's way too compressed and the songwriting comes off as uninsipired - especially Craig's lyrics. They're like mad libs of older songs. On the other extreme - the new guitarist has brought a very generic rock quality to their sound. Maybe I shouldnt have listened to some of their old records before I heard it. They don't want to sound like that anymore, but I kinda want them to, with Craig's lyrics still sounding as fresh and inspired, Hate to bag on a band I love, but... meh.

41BNjpQ9ceL._SY100_.jpg

:sigh: They seem so nice. Maybe this is a grower. I liked Loud Planes Fly Low. It was a worthwhile record with several stand out tracks. This one bored me so bad I took it out of the rotation after day 1. I'll give it another chance later.

4185LlRJ6YL._SY100_.jpg

A solid, very Spoon-ish record. Early impression is its the best of these 4 records. Not my fave Spoon release, but it has its moments. Also, I learned the chord progression for "Do You" by the end of the first listen (and I am a crap guitarist - just awful), which was fun for me. I love catchy songs that are easy to play (where are you Evan Dando???).

518YjoipzTL._SY100_.jpg

Admission: I haven't bought a NP record since Twin Cinema. I have Neko's solo records, and I wanted to give them another chance cause I loved TC so much. Stilla djusting to their quirks, but I still love her voice, and this one seems like it has some solid tracks on it. I'd give it a thumbs up.

I have a few more records I still need to hear, and any 2014 suggestions are welcome. I am looking forward to the new Stars record. (ughh this is the smallest pict of it I can find... it's huuuge):

3a8c0e6f.jpg

Have been an even bigger fan of theirs since I saw them live a few years back and they put on a really great show. I warmed way too late to 5 Ghosts and The North... (that performance of Fixed on Fallon certainly helped) - kinda hoping for a record that grabs me right away.

Saw that a couple of you were listeining to the new Jenny Lewis record...

51TyDmpq5pL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Thoughts? Should I get it? If its as good as that outfit...

The single is great.

But (after only one listen, mind you) it's not striking me as being her best work, overall.

Right now it's a 6/10 for me. But, if I give it a few more listens, it might grow on me.