Television 5/12/14 Paradise Rock Club-Boston

Just a heads up-if they are in your area, see them. They were tight and I think most purists would be pleasantly surprised at the guitar interplay. As I am on the younger side of their fan base (34), I cannot speak to the original lineup's live sound, but if you have written them off, I say give them another chance. Hopefully they will get in a few more US dates this year.

Just a heads up-if they are in your area, see them. They were tight and I think most purists would be pleasantly surprised at the guitar interplay. As I am on the younger side of their fan base (34), I cannot speak to the original lineup's live sound, but if you have written them off, I say give them another chance. Hopefully they will get in a few more US dates this year.

Thanks for posting. I would love to catch them live, although I too never saw the original lineup.

No problem! Just a little more for ya-the set was 90 minutes, 11 songs including encore, and every song you would want them to play, they played. They played this song Persia I had never heard-must've been the longest song of the night by 10 minutes-pretty much a 20 minute jam with a middle-eastern flavor (best I can do to describe it). I read they have never recorded it, which is a shame.

No problem! Just a little more for ya-the set was 90 minutes, 11 songs including encore, and every song you would want them to play, they played. They played this song Persia I had never heard-must've been the longest song of the night by 10 minutes-pretty much a 20 minute jam with a middle-eastern flavor (best I can do to describe it). I read they have never recorded it, which is a shame.

They haven't released "Persia" yet...but supposedly it's part of what may someday still be a new Televsion album.

I'm of the feeling that it ain't Television without Richard Lloyd...but...their agreement is, supposedly, if there are any 3 (of the 4) original members that want to record or tour under the name Television, then that's OK.

That said, Tom Verlaine & Jimmy Rip/RIpp have worked together for longer than he has with Lloyd. They were together, recording wise, for all the Verlaine solo albums from '82 through '90, & he toured with him those years, & has played with him since then as well (including some instrumental stuff for experimental films that eventually came out on DVD I believe)...so while I may prefer Lloyd, I think Jimmy does an incredible job filling in with what I tend to think of as a cross between Television & a deluxe version of The Tom Verlaine Band.

I saw the show in Toronto this tour myself...and while I loved the show, I did think it was a bit "Marquee Moon" heavy- which isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong. I know they played the full album last year at a few shows, so I'm betting the set list comes from that direction & it was a joy to get to hear that much of it. It's just that I really think both "Adventure" & "Television" are in the same class as "Marquee Moon" & I hope, in the future, to get to hear more stuff from those albums as well.

I hope the new album comes out someday in the future...anything from Tom Verlaine is a welcome event.

I saw them once with the old line-up, in the early 90's in Toronto & I've caught The Tom Verlaine Band 3 times over the years.. This wasn't quite as great as seeing the original Television, but it was real close & absolutely great & that's more than good enough for me!!

Finally...here's some great live versions of, as yet, unreleased songs from what will probably end up on the next album...from the wonderful "Ear Candy" archives...

http://www.earcandyarchive.com/?p=24

I did think it was a bit "Marquee Moon" heavy- which isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong.

I've seen them twice in the last six moths and they didn't play anything from Adventure either time.  Both were great shows, but I would have liked to have heard some of those songs.

I've seen them twice in the last six moths and they didn't play anything from Adventure either time.  Both were great shows, but I would have liked to have heard some of those songs.

Very cool you got to catch them twice!!

They just did "Glory" from "Adventure", & "1880 Or So" from the "Television" album...but both were as amazing as the stuff from "Marquee Moon"!!

The same can be said for the very old & recently revived "I'm Gonna Find You" & the still as yet unreleased "Persia"...and, for that matter "Psychotic Reaction" too!

Very cool you got to catch them twice!!

"1880 Or So"

If memory serves, they opened with that one at both shows.  Jimmy Rip's solo on that at the Atlanta show was unbelievable.