the wife and I are taking the 14 year old to Yellowstone in August.

we're staying in 3 different places over the week, I don't know where exactly.

any input on must-sees/dos and/or Ction's opinion on the new Tweedy project are appreciated.

--Atticus

Wind River is not in Yellowstone and is an entire vacation in itself.

The obvious: old faithful , Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, mammoth. If you enjoy hiking hike away from the main viewing points for a different perspective. Hike the overlook above old faithful and see it erupt from above. We hiked away from artist point and had lunch siting on the edge of the Grand Canyon, quiet and beautiful. At the old faithful geyser basin we probably saw 20 eruptions of various geysers when we were there. Geyser nerds abound and can let you know when they are getting ready to blow.

Depending on your ambitions and fitness get recommendations on hikes to water falls from a ranger. Mt Washington is a nice hike too. So much to see and do. My daughter lived and worked there all summer last year and barely scratched the surface.

One of the most spectacular views is when you leave the park going south and first catch sight of the Tetons, simply stunning.

Be patient traffic can be slow and heavy with hour long drives not being unusual.

Wind River is not in Yellowstone and is an entire vacation in itself.

Its in the greater Yellowstone area and is well worth considering if you enjoy lakes and mountains and scenery and stuff.

Btw, the autocheck misspellings in your post made me chuckle.

My daughter highly recommends the taco bus in west Yellowstone for lunch/dinner.

Now thats news Atticus can use!

• 1 month later...

Fyi, I had better luck fishing the cricks and streams outside of Yellowstone. Less pressure. Some of those streams were less that 2 feet wide and we caught all kinds of trout. All you need is some fresh worms and a fishing pole.....

I realize thats blasphemous to the trout worshippers but if you want your boy to catch fish, go for it.

When the Yellowstone Calder blows, it'll be game over.

My friends Zac and Monkey did an album about that very topic.

http://deadunicorn.bandcamp.com/album/yellowstone-supervolcano