TWEEDY - 6/21/14, Austin, TX (Texas Union Ballroom)

Interesting show tonight. Quite possibly the most banter by Jeff at a non-benefit show that I've ever heard. There was so much interaction with the crowd, in fact, that due to a tight curfew, both Misunderstood (or Missunderstood as it appeared on the printed setlist) and Acuff-Rose were encore casualties. Additionally, it appeared that Jeff did an audible late in his solo set and cut a song then. In exchange for fewer songs, however, we were treated to some amusing moments. Two in particular stood out for me. One was when Jeff was rambling on for quite a while and Spencer kept holding his sticks up to start the count-off in hopes that his dad would take a clue and stop talking. He raised his sticks at least half a dozen times until Jeff finally said something to the effect of "one day you'll learn to do what Glenn does and just start the count to shut me up" to which Spencer promptly clapped his sticks together and began. Quick learner. The other moment was amusing if not a bit awkward. During She's A Jar, Jeff was having trouble reaching the harmonica. I'm not sure if it wasn't set in the rig correctly or what, but it seemed to be just out of reach from his mouth. He made it through until the verse ending with "floating inches above the people underneath", at which point he stopped playing, took off the harmonica rig, and proceeded to throw it halfway across the stage. Afterwards he made a joke about it being a career ending meltdown then said Instead of playing that song he was going to sing a song about Jesus smoking crack. A final random observation - there was no mention of "the cult" during Slow Love, nor was there encouragement of a sing-along to the "no love" part of the song.

Here's the complete setlist as played...

Down From Above*

Diamond Light*

Flowering*

Summer Noon*

Desert Bell*

World Away*

New Moon*

Honey Combed*

High As Hello*

Fake Fur Coat #

Wait For Love*

Low Key*

Slow Love*

Nobody Dies*

Spiders (Kidsmoke)^

Muzzle Of Bees^

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart^

She's A Jar^ (aborted mid-song)

The Ruling Class^

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)^

Via Chicago^

Theologians^

Shot In The Arm^

I'm The Man Who Loves You^

--------------------------------------------------

Give Back The Key To My Heart [Doug Sahm]*

California Stars*

* — with full TWEEDY band

# — with guitarist Jim Elkington only

^ — Jeff solo acoustic

that chick who thought it would be a good idea to walk up the center aisle of a seated show (one which began with an announcement by house staff to turn off your fucking phones and not record anything), recording Jeff on her smart phone while he was in the middle of a song:  after she was taken from the front by the volunteer lady, my wife said she was out in that lobby area bawling, attempting to get any passers by to stop and listen to her tragic story.  I don't think she was even removed from the show, she was just traumatized that she couldn't complete her artwork.

It was interesting to see Jeff re-working a few of the older tunes.  He's now playing Via Chicago with the E tuned down to a C with capo on 4th fret, the same way Dylan used to play Desolation Row live.

It was interesting to see Jeff re-working a few of the older tunes.  He's now playing Via Chicago with the E tuned down to a C with capo on 4th fret, the same way Dylan used to play Desolation Row live.

I'm gonna have to try that tonight. I'm intrigued by how that might sound.

I think I stated the chords correctly.  I'll have to go play around with it to verify.  I just remember learning Desolation Row that way years ago, and noticed that Jeff wasn't playing Via Chicago in standard tuning.  He used to capo it up a couple of frets (from the album version), even in standard tuning, but this was definitely a different chord structure/sequence than normal.

link to Dylan tuning info