Ryan Adams -- 7/23/14 -- Flynn Center for the Arts -- Burlington, VT

I have always had a love and not so much love relationship with Ryan Adams - mostly associated with his unpredictable live shows during his drug and alcohol fueled years.  One night he'd blow you away and the next he'd pass out at his piano playing La Cienga Just Smiled.  That said, "Heartbreaker" remains a desert island record for me and I still love to listen to "Cold Roses" on 180 Gram vinyl on my turntable.  Ryan and his new band showed up last night in Burlington and delivered an absolute gem of show - my friend called it a "master class" - whatever it was, it was simply stunning.  Ryan's voice has always been his best instrument and it was on full display last night in a 20 song set that featured brand new material from his soon to be released record "Gimme Something Good," and songs from his sprawling catalog which, at this point, is simply amazing.  He has so much good material to choose from.  The new band is excellent.  They are not at all like The Cardinals in sound or performance - they are more understated, serving his songs in a more pure manner.  The new songs are more like Ryan's earlier material on "Gold" and "Heartbreaker" than they are like his work with The Cardinals.  As always, there was some quality banter that included bits on Danzig, Dionne Warwick, Star Wars, and cigarette smoking French roosters.  But mostly, he just played and sang with great energy and joy.  So good to have him back in the game...

Here is the set list as played:

Gimme Something Good

Magick

Stay with Me

Fix It

Do I Wait

Let it Ride

Dirty Rain

Beautiful Sorta

Shadows

Political Scientists

Oh My Sweet Carolina

Everyone Knows

Kim

Peaceful Valley

Wrecking Ball

Go Easy

Am I Safe

Crossed Out Name

----------------------------

Come Pick Me Up

In some ways, I'm sorry to hear that - in only one way really.  I considered going to this show and passed it up.  Now I'm really disappointed.

Thanks for the review and happy to hear you enjoyed it.  If he gets any closer to Ottawa (or if he even gets this close again), I'm going.

Before we had a child, I used to catch just about every decent show that came through Burlington (my hometown).

Now Ryan Freaking Adams plays within 1/2 mile of my house and not only don't I attend, I don't even know about it!

Maybe when she's 4 or 5 we'll be able to partially reconnect.  At least her first live music show was last year's Solid Sound.