Fantasy Premier League

I've played Fantasy Premier League for 10 years. Every year I wonder if there are any VC FPLers. I finally thought, "what the Hell?", so if there is any interest in having a VC league, I'll create one and post the number here so folks can join. 

If nothing else, I'm creating a strong contender for Most Mocked Thread Ever.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Not much of a fan, but my neighbor/friend is a huge Aston Villa supporter and I'm looking forward to attending their friendly against Houston tomorrow evening. I'm also looking forward to the upcoming season because it gives us a legitimate excuse for drinking beer at 7 AM.

That will be a blast!

My wife and I went to 2 or 3 MLS games when the K.C. team was known as The Wiz, then the Wizards and played at Arrowhead.  It's really cool to see how they've grown into their own fantastic facility, although they've priced us out of their games with a family of 4 right now.  It seems silly to still be discussing if soccer is ever going to "catch on".  It's caught on and will continue to grow.  It might not catch football, basketball, or baseball at the highest level, but it's definitely arrived.

Oh yeah, and my new avatar.  Anyone remember the NASL?  I lived in the Twin Cities from '72-'76 (aged to 2-6) and went to a handful of the Minnesota Kicks games.

I remember the Tampa Bay Rowdies and their commercials which always ended with a sung 'The Rowdies arrrreee ... a kick in the grass!'

I have Kyle Rote, Jr.'s autograph that I picked up at the Superstars competition in my hometown in the mid-seventies. I think he won it two or three times.

My family went to the Rowdies games way back when. NASL champions in our first season! I remember my mom singing along to that Kick in the Grass theme song during games. I miss that. We took our kids to Mutiny games but they didn't last long in MLS. I was hoping for another franchise but it went to Orlando for next season. 

Jesus, I remember the Superstars with Kyle Rote, Jr.!

So I went down the Internet wormhole researching the Kicks the other night.  I remember a goalkeeper named Geoff because I had a good friend named Jeff and I thought the other spelling looked weird as hell.  Anyway, I looked him up. He had a pretty successful EPL career before joining the Kicks near the end of his career.

Turns out he's now a golf pro at Grand View Lodge in Nisswa, MN where my family used to vacation.  Weird what you can learn through these tubes that make up the Internet.

Yeah, we had Rodney Marsh at the end of his career

I hear ya with the inner tubes. Back before the 2003-2004 EPL season, we switched cable and had Fox Soccer channel. When I realized i could watch the games, i decided that I needed a team to support but I didn't want one of the big names. I chose Bolton Wanderers because in an interview, their manager at the time, Sam Allardyce, made an impression on me with his old school style of talking. My wife surprised me with an official shirt that she bought from the club's website. During the first 4 years, the Trotters made the League Cup final, had consecutive top 8 or better finishes (only the Big 4 were more consistent) and qualified for Europe twice, reaching the last 16 once. Then Allardyce resigned due to the club not wanting to sign more quality to push on and they were relegated in the 2011-2012 season! But I digress, I Googled Allardyce at one point and found that he had been a Rowdie in 1983! Weird coincidence.

I still follow Bolton in the Championship but kept my eye on Allardyce managed teams and switched to Arsenal. Now I support West Ham United (Allardyce) and Arsenal. Jesus, I must sound like a douche.

I would play!

Thanks. If nothing else, we both are guaranteed of at least a 2nd place finish! I'll set it up.

I am down to play. My tastes run more towards the Italian league, but do follow the EPL as well.

I went to the United Roma game in Denver yesterday. It was fun, but the stadium felt empty because the tickets were so expensive. I paid over $50 for nose bleed seats. I went to a Champions League game last year between Borussia Dortmund and Marseille and got lower level seats for 45 euro. 

I would play!

I am down to play. My tastes run more towards the Italian league, but do follow the EPL as well.

I went to the United Roma game in Denver yesterday. It was fun, but the stadium felt empty because the tickets were so expensive. I paid over $50 for nose bleed seats. I went to a Champions League game last year between Borussia Dortmund and Marseille and got lower level seats for 45 euro.

Jesus! I didn't know Champion's League Games were affordable. Lucky bastard.

Thanks, guys. I sent PMs with the code for our league, Radio Kings. I made it a Classic League, because I seriously doubt we'll have 20 players for a Head-to-Head League! Get your teams in! 16 August is sooner than you think.

If other VCers are interested, let me know.

Jesus! I didn't know Champion's League Games were affordable. Lucky bastard.

To be fair I was on my honeymoon. 

Also a few years ago I was visiting a friend in Manchester and saw United/Lyon and that was only 50 pounds. So I would say that in general Champions league games have been cheaper than non-sense friendlies with the youth team. 

I would play!

Then join!

We are now a league of 4. How about a few more? It's free, easy to learn, and fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Winston. It's equal parts luck and experience. Not a bad opening game week for me but still not close to the top score of 101! You did okay for your first time. There is a forum at the site for our league. We can communicate there. I'll offer some tips and resource sites in case you all are interested. It's still not to late for others to join!

Guys, log in to Fantasy Premier League, click on Leagues, click on Radio Kings under Classic Leagues, then click on Forum. I started a topic about the first game week and included some advice. Or we can discuss things here, if you'd rather.

Welcome, Mizzy. Radio Kings is now a league of 5 and growing.

To all: if you are not yet playing FPL, and therefore have no points, don't let that dissuade you from joining our league. You can catch us, trust me...

Mizzy, I assume that you changed your mind. Guys, check our league forum. The 2nd week was better for each of us. Good scores.