There doesn't seem to be a general Dawes topic, so I will start one.  Their new album "All Your Favorite Bands" is fantastic.  Especially the title song has great, funny, nostalgic, poignant lyrics.  Dawes has been a grower for me, and listening to the new album in the car this morning I realized that I really love this band now :)  Exceptional lyrics, very strong vocals, and tight musicality.  

Seeing them tomorrow night at Millennium Park with Hozier.  Not so much a Hozier fan, though of course I like that one song (like everyone does).

http://viachicago.org/topic/48851-dawes-stories-dont-end/?fromsearch=

Well there is that this one.

I don't know, the last few have kind of bored me. They put on a great live show but the last few records just seem so AOR easy listening. Love the first album.

Dawes is continually a grower for me.  I start out kind of liking an album, but eventually it clicks and I can't get enough.  It took until last summer/fall, but I finally got into the last one and now really enjoy it.

With that said, I'm liking the new one but it's not blowing me away.  I thought I had read that they were going for more of a live feel, but that's not really coming through for me.  They could definitely benefit from loosening up a little bit on the records.  I'm sure the songs will be much better live.  

I'm also seeing them open for Hozier - I think it's toward the end of July.  Dawes seems to come to my city as an opening act more often than not, so I decided to go for it even though I don't know much of Hozier (and I'm not crazy about what I've heard).  

So I just got home, and Dawes rocked it out, even though it really was a beautiful but less-than-ideal venue for them and the bass was way way too high in the mix from where I was sitting, about 12 rows back.  They played the title song from the new record, which is my favorite. You gotta love an anthemic rock song that contains this lyric: "When I think of you, you've still got on that hat that says 'Let's Party'.  I hope that thing is never thrown away." Even some of the 8 zillion teenage girls there to see Hozier were getting into it.  

I had to leave about 45 minutes into Hozier.  The young crowd (mostly teens and 20s and about 75% female) were really excited and knew the words to most of the songs, but they all kind of sounded like hook-free celtic rock to me.  

As for the live feel on the new Dawes album, I hear what you're saying.  I was listening to "Stories Don't End" on my iPod on the way home and it has a much more claustrophobic feel than this one though.  Of course, I'm also kind of a David Rawlings fangirl, so I'm going to be somewhat biased and pretty forgiving about his production choices.  You're sure right that the songs sound best live though.  Enjoy the show!

• 1 month later...

So I just got home, and Dawes rocked it out, even though it really was a beautiful but less-than-ideal venue for them and the bass was way way too high in the mix from where I was sitting, about 12 rows back.  They played the title song from the new record, which is my favorite. You gotta love an anthemic rock song that contains this lyric: "When I think of you, you've still got on that hat that says 'Let's Party'.  I hope that thing is never thrown away." Even some of the 8 zillion teenage girls there to see Hozier were getting into it.  

I had to leave about 45 minutes into Hozier.  The young crowd (mostly teens and 20s and about 75% female) were really excited and knew the words to most of the songs, but they all kind of sounded like hook-free celtic rock to me.  

I just got back from my show and my experience was the same as yours, down to leaving after 45 minutes of Hozier.  I don't really get what the young ladies see in him, but good for them enjoying themselves I guess.  Something about this guy just rubs me the wrong way.  He seems like a competent musician but his music doesn't make me feel anything. 

Dawes was great as always.  I'm  just not quite understanding why they've added a second guitarist to the band.  I thought Taylor did a great job on his own and it's strange seeing another guy playing some of the solos.  Oh well.

I managed to swindle my way into a business trip in September, so I'll be seeing Dawes headline a show in Baltimore in a couple months.  Apparently they're playing with the city's symphony orchestra, which should be very cool.  Glad I'll get to see them headline a show this year, and I'm hoping they'll make it back to my city for a headliner next year as well.  

Never too many guitars

This used to be my attitude, but sometimes I like a band with one guitar.  Duane is definitely very talented and they sound great together - I'm not complaining, just a little perplexed.