Stream the out-there new record from Nels Cline and White Out

My younger self would not have admitted this, but I get no enjoyment from this type of music.  I love Nels, and I have enjoyed countless albums he plays on in a wide variety of genres, but I can't take endless skronk anymore. 

My younger self would not have admitted this, but I get no enjoyment from this type of music.  I love Nels, and I have enjoyed countless albums he plays on in a wide variety of genres, but I can't take endless skronk anymore. 

I'm generally with you on this but I think this type of stuff is what Nels really enjoys doing. I think being in Wilco allows him the personal and financial freedom to dabble like this.To each their own...

Sure.  I would never stand in anyone's way of making whatever kind of music that they like.  I'm glad this kind of stuff exists for those who enjoy it.  My post was more a commentary on myself than on this recording.  When I was younger, I spent a lot of time listening to this type of music and trying to convince myself (and some friends who were legitimately into it) that I enjoyed it.

Music is a lot like film and literature to me. There's this range from fun to cerebral. I think everyone on this board has an appreciation for stuff that can present both, because Wilco does. The avant stuff, the angular-free-form jazz, the abstract noise textures, when it's good is still something that requires me to force my attention to get much of a reward. This is the same way I feel watching an Ingmar Bergman film or reading Virginia Woolf. It's pretty reasonable to not be interested in doing this kind of "work" in your leisure time. I do it less often these days, but I find when I do I'm breaking down some cultural impulses I have which I don't really value.