Locals travel advice requested from Richmond, VA to Pittsburgh, PA on Monday

I've been planning to drive from Norfolk, VA to the Wilco tour opening show in Pittsburgh, picking up a friend in Maryland along the way. My plans were to leave early Monday morning and return home Tuesday, leaving in the morning and getting back to Norfolk by late night. I should mention that I drive a Honda Fit.

Even though this may seem like an extreme distance to drive for a show, I was actually looking forward to the roadtrip--first show of the tour, already bought tickets, chance to spend time with a friend. But with this snow I'm having second thoughts. We got just a little impact in Norfolk, but I know that it's very different from Richmond to DC/Maryland, and then I'm not so sure about Maryland to Pittsburgh. Temperatures are supposed to rise into the low 40's on Monday.

So does anybody on here who lives along that general path--or has friends or relatives who do--have any advice for me? I need to make the decision by mid afternoon today. Any thoughts welcome!

I think todays sunshine should make for a safe trip- I'm about 45 miles north of Baltimore and 175 miles east of Pittsburgh. check PA Turnpike but I think great strides were made today. Hopefully your pick up in Baltimore is not out in the country, as backroads are still typically one lane with a good amount of snow on the ground.

If from Baltimore, you are taking 83 North to the PA Turnpike west, i think you'll be fine.

Be safe, Diane and enjoy the show. When you pass the Mt. Rose exit on 83 in PA, be sure to beep- I live about a mile from there!

PS- we got 30 inches here in York, PA- alot of people were on the road by mid- afternoon.

probably too late, but i wouldnt recommend doing this. what little melted yesterday is back to slush and ice today. i thought the busier roads would at least be clear this morning but its a mess all around northern virginia. lanes closed, exits still completely blocked by snow, jackasses in trucks assuming everyone can handle the snow just fine, etc. 

I'm chiming in late, but I think you'll be fine.  All major roads in and around Pittsburgh are completely clear, and many of the side roads are too, although there's plenty of slushy mess on sidewalks and parking lots.

If you pass Somerset on the PA Turnpike before 1:30, you should be able to pick up 91.3 FM (WYEP) for the interview.

We'll be at the Proper Brick Oven & Tap Room on 7th Street before the show if you want to meet up.

Have a safe trip and hope to see you there!  

Thanks everyone for the advice, good wishes, etc. I made it there and back fine, although there were a couple of hairy moments in the DC/MD area, with lanes suddenly disappearing because of uncleared snow. Because so many businesses were closed there was less traffic on the roads than usual, and this trip made me love the Google maps GPS on my android phone more than ever. When it suggests there's a faster route available, that lady knows what she's talking about and directed me perfectly.

And OF COURSE I'm going to the NorVa!!!