Saying goodbye to the Tragically Hip

Any fans here? I first stumbled upon them back on Canada Day 2000. They played a free show in central park nyc, Their lead singer Gord is such a unique performer and I was hooked. The Hip don't have much of a following in NYC or the USA for that matter but when they came around I always try and see them. When they announced Gord's diagnosis and a final tour was happening I did what I can to make a show logistically. For me the only one that will work is the finally in Kingston I tried and tried but had no luck getting tickets. I watched on the secondary marked and told myself I would pay $250. It went down as low as $350 or so after fees and is now $1100   :( I have now mentally tried to say good bye but it is tough. I put my name in the hat for their ticket lottery but those odds are not promising. Anyway I figured I would celebrate the band the best way I can at this point..Watch the live stream Saturday night at home and put a list of my favorite tunes of theirs. Here is my top 20 hips songs not in order:

Last American Exit

Small Town Bringdown

Grace, Too

An Inch an Hour

Scared

Courage

It Can't Be Nashville Every Night

Music @ Work

Stay

We Want to Be It

The Modern Spirit

Bobcaygeon

Fireworks

Little Bones

Twist My Arm

Fight

Cordellia

I'll Believe in You

She Didn't Know

Another Midnight

I luv the Hip. Living in Seattle, saw them a lot in the early days. CBC is showing their final concert from their hometown, Kingston, Ontario on Saturday, 8/20 @ 5:30 PDT. No commercials & they are preempting the Olympics. Luckily we get CBC here. 

Definitely one of my all time favorites.  Wilco is the only band I've seen live more.

I watched the live stream on Saturday.  It was great and sad at the same time.

Gordie's solo stuff is also very good.

He will be missed...

Dan-o they didn't come down to NYC that often. I got to see them three times. Last time was in 2011 The venue was half full too at Terminal 5. Anyway I watched the stream too it was a great performance.. Would have liked to see them one more time for a proper goodbye but I appreciate the chance to watch on the stream.

saw one of the stops on the tour. They had a large stage, and I've seen them when they keep yards away from each other for the whole show, but this was really different; They played in about 100 sq feet, as if they there back on some black painted rock club. What a tremendous night.

This is my favourite tribute - from Dave Bidini

'Every band exists with the end perched on their shoulder; more of a black crow than a brightly-plumed parrot. Most bands end while roasting hot dogs over a barrel-fire in the back of a 7-11. In Canada, the legion of forgotten bands would swallow the legion of those remembered, which is why these last few weeks have been so great: it’s been our chance to believe that music actually matters to us in this country. Only a handful of times in our history has a single event drawn us together. Many of them happened on American television, so they don’t count. The obvious comparison is the 1972 Canada-Russia series, partly because the Hip wrote a great song about it, Fireworks, and partly because it echoes one of my favourite Gord Downie quotes, which came after announcers on Boston radio equalled the attention surrounding the Henderson goal to the JFK assassination:

“Ya, but in our case, no one had to die.”

Freakin’ eh.'

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/fully-completely-the-hip-unites-us-all/article31459239/

It was a tremendous concert. Kudos to CBC for showing sans commercials or editting. The whole thing was tremendously classy & I hope it gave Gordie a little peace & happiness. There's a clip on youtube of Pearl Jam the same night in Chicago dedicating a song to the Hip. Eddie gives a nice little speech about them. Pity they didn't get a lot of attention from the US music press. They had a lot of fine music. Them & 54/40 were 2 great Canadian bands that should've been bigger. I'm lucky living in Seattle, we get a fair amount of Canadian music. 

As a Canadian born in the 70s I've been listening to TTH since high school, 93' for me.  They are the soundtrack to a big part of my life and I've seen them live in every venue imaginable.  Saturday night was bittersweet, but It was amazing to see so many celebrations going on not only in Canada, but around the world.  Gord Downie will certainly be missed, but how many people are lucky enough to go out like he is...with Grace Too.   :canada  

Had some friends over to watch the live broadcast on Saturday night. We danced and cheered just like we were at the concert. I hadn't listened to the Hip all that much over the past few years, watching the show reminded me how much I love their music and how its been a big part of my life for the past few decades. I've subsequently pulled out all my Hip CDs and have been revisiting their music over the past week. It's really stirring up some emotions listening to these songs.

Nice song list remphish1!

Some of My favourite Hip songs (first 4 in order, the rest random):

Ahead by a Century

Scared

Bobcaygeon

Grace, Too

Courage (For Hugh MacLennan)

Something On

My Music at Work

Nautical Disaster

Greasy Jungle

Fireworks