Any VC'ers going? After having missed last year, I'm making a return for second weekend as usual. JazzFest is so much fun for music fans of all persuasions. And foodies too. If anyone's on the fence about going, I would absolutely encourage you to take the plunge.

The night grids are starting to populate. 

http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/second_weekend/

Trey's playing three nights during the first weekend. 

Also, some very early and limited info for the Festival from Pollstar. 

https://www.pollstar.com/festival-instance-detail/new-orleans-jazz-heritage-festival-6009

Question for someone who has never gone but gets more pressured each year by his wife to go: Is it a general fee for admission and then you have to pay extra (saw the Joe Russo $40 tix) for all the club gigs? I'm assuming most bands make their money on these extra club gigs and that most attending fans' money is spent on the extra stuff...?

Question for someone who has never gone but gets more pressured each year by his wife to go: Is it a general fee for admission and then you have to pay extra (saw the Joe Russo $40 tix) for all the club gigs? I'm assuming most bands make their money on these extra club gigs and that most attending fans' money is spent on the extra stuff...?

Correct.

Any VC'ers going? After having missed last year, I'm making a return for second weekend as usual. JazzFest is so much fun for music fans of all persuasions. And foodies too. If anyone's on the fence about going, I would absolutely encourage you to take the plunge.

The night grids are starting to populate. 

http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/second_weekend/

Trey's playing three nights during the first weekend. 

Also, some very early and limited info for the Festival from Pollstar. 

https://www.pollstar.com/festival-instance-detail/new-orleans-jazz-heritage-festival-6009

I once enjoyed it, but it's gotten too crowded for my taste. It'll depend on the lineup. But I no longer cry when I miss it. Haven't been in three years. 

Yes, a single admission to the fairgrounds each day (or you can get packages). The Fest runs from 11:00 -7:00 each day with about 12 stages/tents running simultaneously. Food is extra of course, but this is not your usual racetrack food. As you walk around you will hear people talking about their food strategy for the day. Everything in the theaters and clubs at night (and wee hours of the morning) are an individual admission basis. A lot of the artists playing at night aren't playing the Festival, and there are endless configurations of musicians for random one-off shows and jam sessions. 

Make your wife happy and go! You'll be happy too.  

Correct.

I once enjoyed it, but it's gotten too crowded for my taste. It'll depend on the lineup. But I no longer cry when I miss it. Haven't been in three years. 

I've been 5 times in the last 7 years. We always go second weekend and book our plans before they announce the lineup. It never matters, there's always fantastic music playing on some stage or other whether I've heard of them or not. As to crowds, I find that depends on who's headlining the Acura stage. Going second weekend it's never been crowded on Thursday, and really not too bad on Friday. Saturday can be overly crowded, but most of the crowds will be at Acura for the headliners. But yes, it will be crowded throughout the Fairgrounds on a nice Saturday with a major headliner. But not enough to stop me from going. 

I've been 5 times in the last 7 years. We always go second weekend and book our plans before they announce the lineup. It never matters, there's always fantastic music playing on some stage or other whether I've heard of them or not. As to crowds, I find that depends on who's headlining the Acura stage. Going second weekend it's never been crowded on Thursday, and really not too bad on Friday. Saturday can be overly crowded, but most of the crowds will be at Acura for the headliners. But yes, it will be crowded throughout the Fairgrounds on a nice Saturday with a major headliner. But not enough to stop me from going. 

There are way more with your feeling about it than there are with mine. I don't know if you were there, but a few years ago Elton John played the Acura stage. The crowd that day was dangerously large. I told a friend that day that if someone near the front of the Acura stage had suffered a heart attack, nobody would be able to get to them in time. It literally took an hour to get from one side of the fairgrounds to the other that day. I haven't been back since. A lot of locals (including myself) pushed for ticket caps after that experience, but there's no way they'll ever do that. There's too much money to be made. I've gotten to the age where I prefer smaller, more intimate settings for concerts. But I was once a big Jazz Fest fan, so I understand the draw. 

My wife and I will be going! Most likely second weekend but waiting on the lineup announcement for the decision. This year will be our 3rd year attending Jazzfest. We  usually play some shows while we are there too - be on the lookout for Northern Strangers on the grids! Last year we played at Fair Grinds Coffeehouse just outside the Fair Grounds and caught a great crowd as everyone made their exit from the Fest.

My wife and I will be going! Most likely second weekend but waiting on the lineup announcement for the decision. This year will be our 3rd year attending Jazzfest. We  usually play some shows while we are there too - be on the lookout for Northern Strangers on the grids! Last year we played at Fair Grinds Coffeehouse just outside the Fair Grounds and caught a great crowd as everyone made their exit from the Fest.

Nice! If you're there second weekend I'll keep my eyes on the grids.

You guys played my friend's place in Denver a couple years ago, no? Quixote's?

You guys played my friend's place in Denver a couple years ago, no? Quixote's?

We have played there a couple times! We played at Be On Key Psychedelic Ripple this year which is kind of like the new Quixote's/same owner. Are you friends with Jay?

If the Decemberists play, I'll probably go that day. The closest cities they're playing to me are Nashville and Atlanta, and I've gone to Nashville the last two times to see them. While a festival set's not the same, it's better than nothing. I guess we'll find out Tuesday when the lineup is released.

We have played there a couple times! We played at Be On Key Psychedelic Ripple this year which is kind of like the new Quixote's/same owner. Are you friends with Jay?

Yes. I've known Jay since 1995. When I moved out here, I lived in Boulder with him and a pal I knew from New Hampshire. Jay opened the original Quixote's not long after. I was at Be On Key's Saturday morning (we parked in the lot for the Woman's march) and they had coffee and snacks inside before the march.

It’s a solid lineup for sure.

No Decemberists = likely no me. I’d love to know what they have against New Orleans. They haven’t played a proper show there in 12 years and haven’t played Jazz Fest since 2011.

It’s a solid lineup for sure.

No Decemberists = likely no me. I’d love to know what they have against New Orleans. They haven’t played a proper show there in 12 years and haven’t played Jazz Fest since 2011.

I'm definitely underwhelmed with the second weekend lineup. Definitely want to see Beck and Isbell, hope they're not playing at the same time. The Radiators should be closing things out Sunday on Gentilly. The Thursday lineup offers nothing for me, other than just being at the Fairgrounds. It may have to take a really nice weather day to get me there. 

As for the Decemberists, the talk on the JazzFest forum is that they were pissed they got put on the Fais Do Do stage last time they were there. Take that with however many grains of salt you think is appropriate!

As for the Decemberists, the talk on the JazzFest forum is that they were pissed they got put on the Fais Do Do stage last time they were there. Take that with however many grains of salt you think is appropriate!

I totally believe that. I was there, and Colin Meloy made a couple of comments about being on the Fais Do Do Stage. If they have a problem with the festival, that’s one thing. But the fans are the ones who are hurt by them not playing in NOLA. They haven’t had a proper show here in 12 years. Totally absurd.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Yes. I've known Jay since 1995. When I moved out here, I lived in Boulder with him and a pal I knew from New Hampshire. Jay opened the original Quixote's not long after. I was at Be On Key's Saturday morning (we parked in the lot for the Woman's march) and they had coffee and snacks inside before the march.

Wow! Small world!