Jeff's vocals on Schmilco

This thread is apropos of nothing, but I was just listening to Schmilco today (first time in a while), so it was on my mind. In relistening, I was reminded of my main qualm with the record when it came out: Jeff's vocals.

The songs themselves are pretty good, but for a record with such an intimate feel, Jeff's muffled vocals just don't connect. He's a great singer, with a great, honest voice, but the delivery sometimes comes off as flat on Schmilco. Not on everything, but the track "Nope" is a good example — it sounds like he has a bad head cold and is chowing down on a plate of mashed potatoes while he mutters into a microphone 40 feet away. I'm not looking for Adele or anything, just something less cold — something more like his vocal on "One Sunday Morning."

Could be the production, could be the singing itself, or a combination of the two. I wish he would have taken the echo effect off and delivered some crisp, clear vocals. It would have suited the songs better, and made the album more engaging, more accessible and ultimately more enjoyable.

Could just be me though. How has this record aged for everybody else?

Jeff's vocals didn't bother me so much when I was getting into it, but coming back to it lately this is probably the thing that grates the most with Schmilco - especially on the second side. I hear a similar approach on Tweedy and the quieter material on Star Wars. It works quite well with the Tweedy stuff, but by the time the Wilco releases roll around there's definitely something nagging about it. It could also be due to my opinion that some of the material on both of those Wilco releases is well below par.

Not on everything, but the track "Nope" is a good example — it sounds like he has a bad head cold and is chowing down on a plate of mashed potatoes while he mutters into a microphone 40 feet away. 

It's funny you picked "Nope" because it has kind of unique vocal production compared to the rest. The slap echo and doubling makes it sound kind of whimsical and Guided By Voices-ish to me. Suits the song.

Most of the other stuff has a more 'uneffected' sound (not unaffected). They seemed to have really gone for a straight at the mic sound without a lot of extra gloss on it for the last few records. I think it sounds intimate, but I can see how some might hear it as sounding flat.

Speaking of head colds, listen to 'I am Trying to Break Your Heart', that guy used to have some real sinus issues that were somehow endearing. In fact maybe the slightly brighter vocal sound on YHF is what you're missing. But I digress- sorry I'm an audio engineer so I can get really geeky on this stuff, but the important part is what connects with the listener- what they chose didn't work for you.

Jeff's vocals didn't bother me so much when I was getting into it, but coming back to it lately this is probably the thing that grates the most with Schmilco - especially on the second side. I hear a similar approach on Tweedy and the quieter material on Star Wars. It works quite well with the Tweedy stuff, but by the time the Wilco releases roll around there's definitely something nagging about it. It could also be due to my opinion that some of the material on both of those Wilco releases is well below par.

Maybe that's part of it too, because I really like Sukierae. Could just be the formula was a little worn out by the time Schmilco came out. Though it is also interesting to think of Sukierae, Star Wars and Schmilco as a trilogy. Either way, I am very eager to hear what direction the next Wilco album takes. Whether you like the trilogy or not, it would be interesting to see Tweedy veer in a different sonic direction next.

It's funny you picked "Nope" because it has kind of unique vocal production compared to the rest. The slap echo and doubling makes it sound kind of whimsical and Guided By Voices-ish to me. Suits the song.

Most of the other stuff has a more 'uneffected' sound (not unaffected). They seemed to have really gone for a straight at the mic sound without a lot of extra gloss on it for the last few records. I think it sounds intimate, but I can see how some might hear it as sounding flat.

Speaking of head colds, listen to 'I am Trying to Break Your Heart', that guy used to have some real sinus issues that were somehow endearing. In fact maybe the slightly brighter vocal sound on YHF is what you're missing. But I digress- sorry I'm an audio engineer so I can get really geeky on this stuff, but the important part is what connects with the listener- what they chose didn't work for you.

This is interesting. Maybe it is a slightly "brighter" vocal sound that draws me in. I really don't like the distorted/flat/fuzzy/echo thing, which I (maybe wrongly) attribute to songs like "Nope" or "The Joke Explained."

I really don't like the distorted/flat/fuzzy/echo thing, which I (maybe wrongly) attribute to songs like "Nope" or "The Joke Explained."

No, you're totally right. Those are the tunes that have that sound. The others are more flat, some might say 'slightly dark' but describing sound always makes us say silly things.