Carmine Street Guitar

A new documentary on this guitar shop features Nels! Anyone seen it? Know what he ended up purchasing for Jeff?

"Then Nels Cline comes in, shopping for a gift for his Wilco bandmate Jeff Tweedy's 50th birthday, and a viewer might well want to move into the shop permanently."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/carmine-street-guitars-1140885

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/movies/lovers-music-keep-eye-out-for-this-guitar-documentary/6o9T5zW63LlCL89jqv8eyM/

A new documentary on this guitar shop features Nels! Anyone seen it? Know what he ended up purchasing for Jeff?

"Then Nels Cline comes in, shopping for a gift for his Wilco bandmate Jeff Tweedy's 50th birthday, and a viewer might well want to move into the shop permanently."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/carmine-street-guitars-1140885

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/movies/lovers-music-keep-eye-out-for-this-guitar-documentary/6o9T5zW63LlCL89jqv8eyM/

Randomly I happened to be able to catch a screening of this today at the Toronto International Film Festival, and it was an interesting look at both a small business and at the changing nature of Greenwich Village in New York. It was cool to see the way the owner and luthier of Carmine Street Guitars, Rick Kelly, salvaged wood from various NYC buildings and bars to use for his creations. But the bulk of the film just sort of felt like hanging in the shop and listening to various musicians come in and talk about this and that with Kelly and/or his apprentice Cindy Hulej. That could be somewhat boring after a while, but it was short enough that I never felt my attention drifting for long.

Pretty amazing the musical talent that walked into the shop in the relatively short period of time they filmed — everyone from Nels, Bill Frisell and Marc Ribot to Charlie Sexton to Dallas and Travis Good of the Sadies, Lenny Kaye, Kirk Douglas of the Roots, Eszter Balint, Jim Jarmusch (who apparently was the "instigator' of the film), Eleanor Friedberger, Christine Bougie of Bahamas and more.

As far as Nels' appearance, he was indeed depicted shopping for a 50th birthday present for Jeff. Nels said that Jeff had been going through a tough time with the recent passing of his father and mentioned how Jeff had totally changed his life and that he wanted to show his love and gratitude with the gift. Nels said he wanted to give Jeff some sort of Telecaster — that is basically what Kelly specializes in — and asked Kelly if he had "anything lying around" that might be suitable or if Nels would have to commission something. Kelly showed him one he had built with a wooden body (I think it had just a single pickup and the Tele twin tone control knobs) which Nels tested out and said he liked enough that he wanted to buy it for Jeff. And that was it, except for a brief scene a little later on showing Kelly's apprentice burning a quotation or lyric of some sort into the back of a guitar as well as a message that said something like "In honor of your 50 years, with love and gratitude..." The film didn't specify that it was the guitar Nels had bought for Jeff, but the inference was pretty easy to draw.

Randomly I happened to be able to catch a screening of this today at the Toronto International Film Festival, and it was an interesting look at both a small business and at the changing nature of Greenwich Village in New York. It was cool to see the way the owner and luthier of Carmine Street Guitars, Rick Kelly, salvaged wood from various NYC buildings and bars to use for his creations. But the bulk of the film just sort of felt like just hanging in the shop and listening to various musicians come in and talk about this and that with Kelly and/or his apprentice Cindy Hulej. That could be somewhat boring after a while, but it was short enough that I never felt my attention drifting for long.

Pretty amazing the musical talent that walked into the shop in the relatively short period of time they filmed — everyone from Nels, Bill Frisell and Marc Ribot to Charlie Sexton to Dallas and Travis Good of the Sadies, Lenny Kaye, Kirk Douglas of the Roots, Eszter Balint, Jim Jarmusch (who apparently was the "instigator' of the film), Eleanor Friedberger, Christine Bougie of Bahamas and more.

As far as Nels' appearance, he was indeed depicted shopping for a 50th birthday present for Jeff. Nels said that Jeff had been going through a tough time with the recent passing of his father and mentioned how Jeff had totally changed his life and that he wanted to show his love and gratitude with the gift. Nels said he wanted to give Jeff some sort of Telecaster — that is basically what Kelly specializes in — and asked Kelly if he had "anything lying around" that might be suitable or if Nels would have to commission something. Kelly showed him one he had built with a wooden body (I think it had just a single pickup and the Tele twin tone control knobs) which Nels tested out and said he liked enough that he wanted to buy it for Jeff. And that was it, except for a brief scene a little later on showing Kelly's apprentice burning a quotation or lyric of some sort into the back of a guitar as well as a message that said something like "In honor of your 50 years, with love and gratitude..." The film didn't specify that it was the guitar Nels had bought for Jeff, but the inference was pretty easy to draw.

This film sounds great, looking forward to watching.

On another note....if anyone hasn't seen them yet, go see The Sadies, if you ever get the chance. They are one of the most talented, hard working bands in action. They'll be touring with Kurt Vile early next year, btw. Check em out! 

This film sounds great, looking forward to watching.

On another note....if anyone hasn't seen them yet, go see The Sadies, if you ever get the chance. They are one of the most talented, hard working bands in action. They'll be touring with Kurt Vile early next year, btw. Check em out! 

The Sadies actually did the score for the film, I forgot to mention. It was made by Ron Mann, who is apparently a well-known figure in the local Toronto film community, so there's definitely a Canadian tie-in there.

The Sadies actually did the score for the film, I forgot to mention. It was made by Ron Mann, who is apparently a well-known figure in the local Toronto film community, so there's definitely a Canadian tie-in there.

Nice! One more reason to watch! And listen!