tmrw i am flying out to Chicago w/ my two older sons (18 and 20) for Sunday's Sleep show at Thalia Hall, but aside from a burger at Kuma's Corner and a visit to the Art Institute we don't have anything planned. hit me up w/ some things to do/see in the cold, dreary (well, kinda warm and rainy) chicago winter.

Another nugget: go the Chicago Athletic Association and head to the second floor.The lobby is pretty cool (The Drawing Room), but you want to hit the Gameroom. They have football, pool, darts, indoor bocce. Dad can get adult beverages. Best to do it during the day. Bonus points for taking them up to Cindy’s (top floor) for photos of the city.

The below Via Chicago link has plenty info --- Pilsen is great place to hang - a lot of good taco joints. The last time I went to Thalia, we ate the Honky Tonk BBQ, I am not a BBQ expert, but the food was decent. There is bar in the basement of the restaurant that is attached to Thalia - a nice place to hang prior to the show. 

I still plan to hit Monday's show with a buddy and my brother. 

http://viachicago.org/topic/35877-going-to-chicagowhat-to-do-see-stay-etc/

The Art Institute (since you are already going) currently has an exhibit on Andy Warhol that's quite good -- though very little on Andy and the Velvet Underground.  Download the Art Institute app ahead of time  and bring earbuds for a free self-guided tour.  

Hot G Dog on Clark St. is owned and run by a couple of guys who used to work at the sadly departed Hot Doug's that you may have heard about.

Sadly, I never went to Hot Doug's but I did go to Hot G last week and it was excellent. Had the crawfish sausage.

http://hotgdog.com/specials.php

so i forgot to re-check this thread but we managed ok... hit the Art Institute but too late to see the Warhol exhibit, went to the Pritzker WWII museum (more like a library but the DDay photo exhibit was cool), was gonna hit the Columbia College free contemporary photography exhibit but it was closed for the holidays, and also checked out the Chicao Cultural Center. went to Kuma's w/ friends on Friday, and hit Marz brewing before the gig. 

had a great time!