Hungry Like the Wolf

I've been thinking lately about the primal passions that drive my favorite songs...surprisingly, it's not entirely lust!  For example, how often does simple hunger drive a yearning lyric?

Anyway it's my theory that Jeff was hungry like the wolf during the recording of " Love is the King". So we get delicious  lyrics like:

"Oh, tomatoes right off the vine 

We used to eat them like that 

All the time"

And,

"A pie left out that you can't consume

So sweet,

You cannot eat.."

And,

"Sun coming up, like a piece of toast"

I don't know about you but now I'm hungry for pie and toast with tomatoes.

Are there other Wilco or Jeff songs with food imagery to them? I'm sure there must be! (Is Jeff more prolific when he's hungry? Enquiring minds...)

Or do you have a good food-related Wilco story? We'd love to hear it!

First one that came to mind was a song I've never liked "Pecan Pie:"

Sometimes I get so hungry
Think about pie all day
Just a little whipped cream
Honey, I'm on my way
With a piece of pecan pie
And you that's all I want
Just a piece of pecan pie
And all I want is you

Speaking of tomatoes and wolves -- my lab loves tomatoes --- can't leave them on the counter top over night, because he will snatch them -- also eats them off the vine out of our garden if we don't keep an eye of him. Perhaps my dog has wolf in is blood.

Maybe, Tweedy grew up with a tomato-eating dog like mine. 

Regarding food and Wilco - once the wife and I and dinner prior to a Wilco's show at the Chicago's Civic Opera House - the restaurant was a half a block away. My wife - who was about 8 months pregnant ordered a steak ---- since she was pregnant, so she ordered it medium well - typically she orders  it medium rare -- anyways it was brought out and it was definitely was not cooked properly and sent back -- another came and that to wasn't right ----- the waiter then said "well that is how we cook medium well steak in the city' . My wife looked at him and said 'I have lived in this city for over 15 years and been eating steak in this city for 15 years and this is not right' --- Really thought she going to stab him with a steak knife. Anyways, the dinner was comped. Through out the show she was miffed. 

I like the sound of "Pecan Pie"...comfortable.

Food musta been on the mind of Jay or Jeff when naming "Pieholden Suite".

"Spiders singing in the salty breeze"....?....that's a stretch.

Chinese Apple.

Hey Chicken (....hanging on a sour grape vine)

A Slim Jim is referenced in "I Might".

That's all I got. I think it's high time Jeff writes a song or 2 about food he loves. Chicago pizza, oatmeal with bananas, that Strawberry Pretzel salad that's popular around Thanksgiving....just throwing some ideas out there.

Omigosh how are we all forgetting "California Stars", with all its grapes on vines, and friendly wine! Although that's actually a Guthrie lyric I guess.

Chez, I have to ask, do you like pecan pie? The pie, not the song.

Calvino, your dog cracks me up! Don't let him eat the green tomatoes in your garden, they have a substance that's harmful to dogs. The ripe ones are safe though.
I loved your steak story. What a snooty fool of a waiter. Good for your wife, but sorry the mood carried over into the show! :( I hope the music gradually lifted her spirits.

Sid, I do hope Jeff reads your suggestions and gives us an album of all food-related songs. He could just call it "Food". It would be nourishing and delicious.

Alternatively, he could follow in the footsteps of young Spencer Tweedy, who with his band The Blisters once did a commercial for Quaker Oats. The product I have in mind is a bit outdated these days, but I for one would happily buy it if Jeff pitched it. :spider Jeff would probably have to rework some of the lyrics, but when he got to the chorus, all of America would be SOLD. Can't you just hear it?

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, O-val-tine! Make believe malted chocolate drink!" :banana I would totally buy some.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:14 PM, kidsmoke said:

I've never been much of a dessert eater, but pecan pie is pretty good!  Not as good as pumpkin pie, but pretty, pretty good.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:15 AM, Chez said:

First one that came to mind was a song I've never liked "Pecan Pie:"

Sometimes I get so hungry
Think about pie all day
Just a little whipped cream
Honey, I'm on my way
With a piece of pecan pie
And you that's all I want
Just a piece of pecan pie
And all I want is you

On 2/4/2021 at 9:14 PM, kidsmoke said:

13 hours ago, Chez said:

I've never been much of a dessert eater, but pecan pie is pretty good!  Not as good as pumpkin pie, but pretty, pretty good.

I just wondered if you were a pecan pie hater and therefore prejudiced toward the song. :P 

And now I'm craving both pecan and pumpkin pie. I actually have a recipe that combines them!