Kotche's influence on the Top 40 (Olivia Rodrigo)

As a drum nerd I've really enjoyed Glenn's Instagram project of a beat a week. Most of them would take me at least an hour to learn, and some of them I might never get, but they're another inspiring piece of evidence of this guy's creativity.

Anyhow, he recently posted a beat that was kind of a variation of IATTBYH but said he got into it after someone pointed out the Olivia Rodrigo song "Deja Vu" as a kindred spirit. I'm sometimes pop music ignorant, so I checked it out, and I have to think the drummer and/or producer used the Wilco track as a reference for their arrangement. Not identical by any means, but a similar approach. I don't call that a rip off either, it's a surprising (but fruitful?) lineage.

Check it out if you're curious, I jumped ahead to where the drums come in, but if you want all the teenage drama you can start at the top: 

https://youtu.be/cii6ruuycQA?t=91

• Like 1

Definitely.

I read Adam Granduciel comment once how Wilco was a big influence in his guitar playing. Holding notes longer than conventionally held for and in a different octave (paraphrasing) for example, etc. This was around the release of A DEEPER UNDERSTANDING and it struck me that Wilco had entered the territory of influential legacy artists. Until that point, I'd just considered them my favorite band that I'd go see always, who kept making great music. Not until then had I taken a step back to consider their body of work and its impact on art and pop culture at large, and that it is substantial. I've never taken them for granted, but hadn't fully considered that deep horizon before.

And yet, you can log onto the internets and catch Tweedy in the tub from time to time. Such a humble legend.

13 hours ago, lost highway said:

As a drum nerd I've really enjoyed Glenn's Instagram project of a beat a week. Most of them would take me at least an hour to learn, and some of them I might never get, but they're another inspiring piece of evidence of this guy's creativity.

Anyhow, he recently posted a beat that was kind of a variation of IATTBYH but said he got into it after someone pointed out the Olivia Rodrigo song "Deja Vu" as a kindred spirit. I'm sometimes pop music ignorant, so I checked it out, and I have to think the drummer and/or producer used the Wilco track as a reference for their arrangement. Not identical by any means, but a similar approach. I don't call that a rip off either, it's a surprising (but fruitful?) lineage.

Check it out if you're curious, I jumped ahead to where the drums come in, but if you want all the teenage drama you can start at the top: 

https://youtu.be/cii6ruuycQA?t=91

Very cool catch. Sharing that (and IATTBYH) with her. She's a big Olivia fan. She's damn talented. My kids are helping me to appreciate 21st century pop music...