It appears that those of us in South Mississippi will be spared from the brunt of the storm. I sure hope so. Memories of last October's post-Zeta cleanup are still very fresh. Unfortunately it looks like family in Southwest Louisiana may not be so fortunate. When I was a kid I thought hurricanes were great because we didn't have to go to school. Then I had to help my parents with cleanup without electricity and air conditioning for several weeks in early September after a particularly big hurricane. Not fun at all! 

"Rivers burn, and then run backwards..."

Well, the river isn't burning but it IS running backwards! :blink

From CNN:

Mississippi River flow reversing due to hurricane "extremely uncommon," USGS says

From CNN's Brandon Miller

Storm surge and strong winds stopped the flow of the Mississippi River on Sunday near New Orleans and actually caused the flow to reverse – something the United States Geological Survey said is “extremely uncommon.”

“I remember, offhand, that there was some flow reversal of the Mississippi River during Hurricane Katrina, but it is extremely uncommon,” Scott Perrien, a supervising hydrologist with the USGS Lower Mississippi Gulf Water Science Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, told CNN.

Perrien noted that the river level rose about 7 feet due to the storm surge pushing up the river at the USGS gauge, located in Belle Chasse, about 20 miles south of New Orleans in southeastern Louisiana.

“During that time, the flow of the river slowed from about 2 feet per second down to about half a foot per second in the other direction,” Perrien said.

Perrien pointed out that the gauge does not measure the flow of the entire river, so it is possible that the deeper portions of the river did not reverse flow directions.

“The river is feeling the effects of the storm over a large area,” Perrien said, “all the way up to Baton Rouge the river has risen 1.5 feet in the past 12 hours as the surge pushes up the river. And the water level will likely rise more in the coming hours here in Baton Rouge.”

All is good and dry at my house here in NJ.  Never lost power (so far). But I am fortunate to live on a mountain.  Surrounding highways were closed last night due to flooding.  News reports are horrific.  I am very, very fortunate to live in the exact spot where I live.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, brownie said:

All is good and dry at my house here in NJ.  Never lost power (so far). But I am fortunate to live on a mountain.  Surrounding highways were closed last night due to flooding.  News reports are horrific.  I am very, very fortunate to live in the exact spot where I live.

I'm glad you're safe, Brownie! The news stories have been chilling!