Wilco — 23 August 2022, Lafayette, NY (Beak & Skiff Apple Orchards)

Here's one I really wish I could have gotten to, just to check out what I'm sure was probably a pretty unique and picturesque venue. I've noticed that this place has had quite a summer concert calendar this year, so Wilco wasn't breaking ground by playing there but I'm sure it was still pretty memorable to play in an orchard setting. Anyway, apparently this place is close enough to Syracuse to warrant a review by at least one Syracuse media outlet (which, among other things, reported that the setlist included Sky Blue Sky, which according to Wilcoworld, it actually did not. If I had to guess, the reviewer maybe got SBS confused with Either Way?).

At any rate, it would be great to hear from folks who attended...

For now, here was the setlist according to Wilcoworld (notations and encore break are my assumptions based on other shows):

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Hints

Handshake Drugs

Story To Tell

Either Way

War On War

If I Ever Was A Child

Via Chicago>

Many Worlds (coda only)

Hummingbird

At Least That's What You Said

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Jesus, etc.

Impossible Germany

Hearts Hard To Find

Love Is Everywhere (Beware)

California Stars

A Lifetime To Find

Heavy Metal Drummer

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

--------------------------------------------------------

Falling Apart (Right Now)

Box Full Of Letters

The Late Greats

I Got You (At The End Of The Century)

• Thanks 1

Keeping it short....

They came out chipper and cheerful, making way for one another as they realized that one or two entered out of order of their playing position, from stage right.

You can see from above that the setlist deviated from what it had been the preceding few shows (if paying attention, as a nerd like me does) and it was the first of a few surprises (Spiders! which wasn't a surprise except in how they presented it...with all new crowd interaction).

My wife and I were close enough that you could read lips and see very clearly the business of playing a show from the band's standpoint. During the opening of War on War Jeff jokingly shook his head at Glenn and said "Too fast", both chuckling. 

The stage is nice and low at this venue. Probably no more than 5' off the ground, which made it nice and connective between the band and audience.

If you haven't been to any shows this tour, and have only read that they follow up VC with the Many Worlds coda, you'd expect them to segue right into it, as I did. However, Pat was playing piano during VC, with no Guitar nearby, and I thought maybe they were going to take a rest from it that night. But then VC faded and the crew came out with a guitar for Pat, as the rest took a breath of sorts. Then they played it, and it worked so well, with that slight respite in between.

In terms of watching how they interacted and followed each other, it was a crack up to see Nels react to Jeff's soloing on ALTWYS. Making "ouch" faces in respect of the shredding, and vocally expressing his awe of it. Completely genuine and rousing. He's not one to be so expressive, that I've ever noticed, so maybe his partial set with Mike Watt at SSF has gotten him into a new mode of performing? Or, not.

Anyways... this is no longer short, or well written, so I'll clarify that among the other surprises were the four encore tunes. You know how it is when they come back out...you say to yourself "I wonder if they'll play ____ and ____ and ____, or cut it short and play just two, etc. etc.

Well, they, seemingly at the time, kept playing. I guess the apples didn't mind.

Box Full Of Letters is always great and Late Greats was so good to hear again after a long while, it gave me a swell in the ol' chest and stomach area.

If ever there were a Roadcase worthy show from this summer, I hope this is it.

Came on stage just before 8p and left for good just after 10p (10:10p?)

I know I'm leaving things out (if you're still reading), but that's most of what I remember. Woodrow E. Pecker, Prof of Bird Whistling at Juliard, had a student in attendance, and there were a couple of very fun and funny interactions between them and Tweety (see that?). You'll hear it in the Roadcase (fingers crossed).

Kamikaze Palm Tree were fun to watch and really interesting to listen to. Very reminiscent of Cate Le Bon, and if they play near you, go see them.

Beak & Skiff is a beautiful apple orchard in Lafayette, NY the hills of Central New York, just east of Skaneateles (skinny-at-lees) and south west of Syracuse. Coming from Rochester (NY, of course) it's a 62 mile drive east, with over half of it off the thruway. There's a natural amphitheater, however slight, that a regional promoter must've eyeballed a few years ago and worked to plant a stage throughout the summer, this being the third (I think?) they've hosted shows there. Saw The War On Drugs there in June and that was just a good show and pleasant venue experience. File under "Will go back".

A couple photos from the show. John levitating and a crappy rainbow, in that order...

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

• Like 2