Wilco - 15 September, Santa Fe, NM (Santa Fe Opera)

I'm the last person that should be writing this because I'm a shitty writer and I didn't keep a setlist during the show, so I'll just regurgitate the list as I recall it and hope others will fill in the blanks. If you've never been there, the Santa Fe Opera is a beautiful open-air venue that is more accustomed to black ties and Rossini than rock shows, but with the 12,000' Sangre de Cristo Mountains forming the eastern sklyine and with Jemez wilderness and badlands to the west the views are spectacular especially with the late summer sunset and all of the wildflowers in bloom what a night for a Wilco show! To the music, I don't know if it's because I haven't seen the band since SS19, or because a buddy got us front-row center seats (unflippin' believable!), but damn the boys got out there and rocked the freakin' house down!  I have to say after seeing the band around 30 times, this show was far away one of the most mind-blowing I can recall. From the moment they opened with Hankshake Drugs to the last beat of I've Got You (at the end of the century) the whole crowd was their feet for the entirety of the show, now I've seen Wilco here 2 or maybe 3 other times and that's never happened, Santa Fe crowds can be a little stodgy. I've never seen Wilco play extended jams in so many songs, they almost seemed like a different band. And Pat! Holy shit! that guy was having the time of his life out there, the energy was overflowing.  There was banter here and there over the course of the night but I'll be damned if I can remember it, I was on such heavy music high that nothing else mattered.  I just wish Paul from Chicago (I'm Paul from NM) was there to provide his beloved commentary, it would certainly help me remember the night better.  For the encore they brought out Terry Allen, who is local, that was a really special edition to the show.  It was funny, during the second song he played and sang (don't know the songs title) he got into an extended keyboard jam and was really rocking, and I saw Jeff nodding to Pat to cut in with his guitar solo, Pay obliged but not for another couple of minute while Terry jammed out, great fun. 

It was a very similar set list to Red Rocks the night before, without the following songs: At least that's what You Said, Heavy Metal Drummer, I'm the Man Who loves You, no U.S. Blues either.  They did play I'm Always in Love.  I hope some else can fill out the songs.  Thanks. 

Handshake Drugs

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

Hints

War on War

If Ever I was a Child

Via Chicago/Many Worlds coda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was not at this show, but I found the setlist on WilcoWorld. It’s also in the same order on the “you can’t trust it” Setlist FM. 

https://wilcoworld.net/tour_date_type/15-sept-2022-santa-fe-nm-santa-fe-opera/

Handshake Drugs

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Hints

War On War

If I Ever Was A Child

Via Chicago>
Many Worlds (coda only)

Company In My Back

Story To Tell

Hummingbird

Tired Of Taking It Out On You 

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Jesus, etc.

Impossible Germany

Love Is Everywhere (Beware)

California Stars

A Lifetime To Find
I’m Always In Love 

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

—————————————————

Amarillo Highway [Terry Allen] (with Terry Allen on keyboard and vocals)

Death Of The Last Stripper [Terry Allen] (with Terry Allen on keyboard and vocals)

Falling Apart (Right Now) 

I Got You (At The End Of The Century)

Holy Font, Batman! 

3 hours ago, saluqi said:

I'm the last person that should be writing this because I'm a shitty writer and I didn't keep a setlist during the show, so I'll just regurgitate the list as I recall it and hope others will fill in the blanks. If you've never been there, the Santa Fe Opera is a beautiful open-air venue that is more accustomed to black ties and Rossini than rock shows, but with the 12,000' Sangre de Cristo Mountains forming the eastern sklyine and with Jemez wilderness and badlands to the west the views are spectacular especially with the late summer sunset and all of the wildflowers in bloom what a night for a Wilco show! To the music, I don't know if it's because I haven't seen the band since SS19, or because a buddy got us front-row center seats (unflippin' believable!), but damn the boys got out there and rocked the freakin' house down!  I have to say after seeing the band around 30 times, this show was far away one of the most mind-blowing I can recall. From the moment they opened with Hankshake Drugs to the last beat of I've Got You (at the end of the century) the whole crowd was their feet for the entirety of the show, now I've seen Wilco here 2 or maybe 3 other times and that's never happened, Santa Fe crowds can be a little stodgy. I've never seen Wilco play extended jams in so many songs, they almost seemed like a different band. And Pat! Holy shit! that guy was having the time of his life out there, the energy was overflowing.  There was banter here and there over the course of the night but I'll be damned if I can remember it, I was on such heavy music high that nothing else mattered.  I just wish Paul from Chicago (I'm Paul from NM) was there to provide his beloved commentary, it would certainly help me remember the night better.  For the encore they brought out Terry Allen, who is local, that was a really special edition to the show.  It was funny, during the second song he played and sang (don't know the songs title) he got into an extended keyboard jam and was really rocking, and I saw Jeff nodding to Pat to cut in with his guitar solo, Pay obliged but not for another couple of minute while Terry jammed out, great fun. 

It was a very similar set list to Red Rocks the night before, without the following songs: At least that's what You Said, Heavy Metal Drummer, I'm the Man Who loves You, no U.S. Blues either.  They did play I'm Always in Love.  I hope some else can fill out the songs.  Thanks. 

Handshake Drugs

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

Hints

War on War

If Ever I was a Child

Via Chicago/Many Worlds coda

Well, Paul from NM, I'd have to disagree with you being a "shitty writer". I see Wilco tomorrow night in San Diego, and your write-up has me all amped up for the show! From all accounts lately, they continue to be America's greatest live band!:banana:rock:guitar

35 minutes ago, kidsmoke said:

Well, Paul from NM, I'd have to disagree with you being a "shitty writer". I see Wilco tomorrow night in San Diego, and your write-up has me all amped up for the show! From all accounts lately, they continue to be America's greatest live band!:banana:rock:guitar

Ahh, thanks.  It was such a mind blowing show for me, one being so close to the band, and two, just the whole scene was perfect, I'm still riding the post-show buzz.  I meant to throw in that the night before at the opera John Hiatt and Buddy Guy played a dual headliner show, and several of my friends asked me if I was going to attend, and I told them I was seeing Wilco the next night, and besides I wasn't quite ready for a night of grandad rock, I'm still enjoying on the dad rock scene.  Just trying to be clever, I don't think it was appreciated. 

IMG_9322.jpg

• Haha 1