The World Cup (It's all about Wales you know, and Iran)

First time for us since 58. Interesting group with England, Iran and USA. Shame it has to be at the worst host country ever, but that it our lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpV0OFC0vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emPhXdwhQoE

The official version 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Fag8ZQcz4

The sparks start flying on the 2 minute mark.

Then we've still got the national anthem up our sleeve. 

A fair result. We were so nervous and disjointed in the first half. Let's hope we both beat England but can't see us both qualifying - may end up on goal difference between us to get out of the group.

Bale was in the same class in Cardiff Whitchurch High School as Sam Warburton - British and Irish Lions rugby captain, and the year above was Geraint Thomas - Tour de France winner. Give that PE teacher a medal.

• Like 1

The long awaited England - US match was deadly dull. I really hate 0-0 matches. I guess it's the American in me. That match was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. BTW: even though I'm not a huge soccer fan I am an Arsenal supporter. I have a friend in England that got me hooked. My friend got attacked returning from a match & was in a bad way. I got in touch with the club & they were so awesome! I even got all the way to Arsene Wenger! Wenger himself wrote my friend a letter which gave him a boost when he really needed it. Top notch & classy organization!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chuckrh said:

My friend got attacked returning from a match & was in a bad way. I got in touch with the club & they were so awesome! I even got all the way to Arsene Wenger! Wenger himself wrote my friend a letter which gave him a boost when he really needed it. Top notch & classy organization!

Nice story. Personally I don't actually watch domestic football. I'm a rugby fan and watch domestic rugby but for internationals Wales is Wales whatever the sport.

Sorry USA (even though my sister lives there now after marrying an American) and given the Welsh chances are slim to none, I am now switching support to my second team. I visited in 2019 and they are a lovely, lovely people. Go Iran!

"The power of the World Cup strikes like a bolt. The sound of the Iran national anthem being booed and whistled by Iranians before kick-off against Wales and the sight of Iranian women and men left distraught afterwards is incredibly moving. It serves as another rebuke to the pathetic appeal by Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, for everyone to “stick to the football”. Security guards following orders confiscate an Iran fan’s football shirt that has “Mahsa Amini 22” printed on the back, the name and age of the woman whose death in police custody sparked the ongoing protests in the country. Shame on Fifa. There are reports of fans being arrested for carrying flags opposed to the Islamic republic and for banners with the protest slogan ‘Women, life, freedom’. Shame on Qatar. Iran players somehow block out the powerful distractions to produce an emotion-charged victory."

image.png

I totally understand your point re supporting Iran. Infantino and FIFA are disgusting and the further Iran go, the more support the protests may get. I also see the other side. Just as I do not want success in sport (or much of anything) for Russia, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, North Korea, Qatar, et al due to their vile human rights abuses and other political issues, I do not want success for their sibling nation, Iran. Until they change, of course.

As a counterpoint, this is from the BBC:

On Friday - at Iran's World Cup game against Wales - some protesters had Persian pre-revolutionary flags snatched from them by pro-government fans at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium.

Insults were also reportedly hurled at some people wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the words "woman, life, freedom" - a phrase that has become a rallying cry among protesters against Iran's authorities.

Women giving interviews to foreign press about the protests were also seen being harried by at least one group of men. 

Some used their mobiles to film the women who were also subjected to verbal attacks and the men loudly chanting: "The Islamic Republic of Iran".

I don’t want any of these religious fundamentalist nutter scum to have anything to celebrate. Fuck Iran. And their brethren nations. I believe the protests/protestors will gain support regardless of Iran’s World Cup performance. 

Again, I do see and respect your view.

• Like 1

Doug C: Get what you are saying too given the Cold War use of sport, but believe football to be such a game of the people (probably alone of all sports) all over the world that it will be the people of Iran, not the state, who might draw some happiness from any success, and I wish them at least that. Not to mention that the team itself are protesting how they can (captain's interviews and not singing their national anthem in the first match).There was a protester ran onto the pitch during last nights game. Didn't quite have time to unfurl a rainbow flag before being tackled by security, but had slogans on front and back of his t-shirt. Good man.

_127811142_gettyimages-1445256576.jpg

Can;t decide which I like more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjNZZ6AUk2w

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0th9_v-BbUI

Probably the original.

• Albert Tatlock changed the title to The World Cup (It's all about Wales you know, and Iran)
On 11/19/2022 at 12:54 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

First time for us since 58. Interesting group with England, Iran and USA. Shame it has to be at the worst host country ever, but that it our lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpV0OFC0vc

I was hoping I'd see this in here.  :wub

I'm not a huge football fan, but I've been listening to a podcast about FIFA called The Lords of Soccer.  Haven't gotten to Qatar yet, but it's almost impressive how corrupt the organization has been, and for so long! :hmm

1 hour ago, gogo said:

I'm not a huge football fan,

You should do well in the rugby WC next year in France with Ireland currently no.1 in the rankings. 

9 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

USA advances. Whew!

Enjoy the ride! I will be only mildly following now unless some underdog takes my fancy - sometimes it's nice to doze on the settee with my feet up in the evening.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/30/middleeast/iran-protests-world-cup-defeat-celebrations-intl/index.html

Iranian protesters celebrate World Cup defeat, as fears surround players’ return