Wilco — 28 September 2023, Dallas, TX (South Side Ballroom)

Once again, I wasn't able to make this one in person so consider this just a jumping-off point for the many folks who I know were there. Chime in! Please?

Thanks to a source, who sent me a photo of the printed setlist and notes on amendments, at least I can post that info here to get things started. So here was the complete setlist, as played, at South Side Ballroom aka the Palladium aka Gilley's (Monday and Outtasite (Outta Mind) were listed as the final two songs of the encore, but were replaced by Spiders — which had been on the printed list as the penultimate song of the main set. Via Chicago was also on the printed list as the third-to-last song of the main set, just before Spiders, but apparently wasn't played):

Infinite Surprise

Ten Dead

Handshake Drugs

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Cousin

Side With The Seeds

Hummingbird

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Pittsburgh

Misunderstood

Evicted

Impossible Germany

Jesus, etc.

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

A Shot In The Arm

--------------------------------------------------

Falling Apart (Right Now)

California Stars

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

• Like 1

Won't go down as one of the best Wilco shows I have ever seen, not bad by any stretch, just lacking something.  The venue didn't help.  I wanna thank the South Side for not having the air conditioning on for the first hour or so.  Hey it was only 97 in Dallas yesterday, no biggie.  The band is always fun to see.  Loved how Nels is doing the solos in Impossible now.  The newer material seemed to send many people on restroom breaks.  When Jeff mentioned Cruel Country, the response was sparse at best.  Dallas is very much a "hits" kind of crowd for most bands.  I am not going to bash Wilco for the same things I admire Dylan for, i.e. not playing the hits, but when you are standing room only, I think that is less conducive to presenting new material than a seated venue is.  For Dallas, they were presenting two albums of new material.  I don't know, maybe that's just me.  I will require a seated venue in the future, or I will skip it.  Judging by the amount of cars that had already left by the last note, I might not be the only one that was a bit disappointed.  If the band skipped Via Chicago and Outtasite/Outtamind, someone on the stage wasn't feeling it either.

We're seeing them in Albuquerque this Sunday, and I fear my better half won't be too impressed with all the new material. But, she's a "hits" kinda gal and I still love her. Me, I'm just wanting to let the performance of new songs make me hear Wilco in a new light. 

The seated venue in ABQ is pretty undersold at this point, looks to be about 2/3 full at best. Here's hoping for s special night! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, keithdylan said:

Won't go down as one of the best Wilco shows I have ever seen, not bad by any stretch, just lacking something.  The venue didn't help.  I wanna thank the South Side for not having the air conditioning on for the first hour or so.  Hey it was only 97 in Dallas yesterday, no biggie.  The band is always fun to see.  Loved how Nels is doing the solos in Impossible now.  The newer material seemed to send many people on restroom breaks.  When Jeff mentioned Cruel Country, the response was sparse at best.  Dallas is very much a "hits" kind of crowd for most bands.  I am not going to bash Wilco for the same things I admire Dylan for, i.e. not playing the hits, but when you are standing room only, I think that is less conducive to presenting new material than a seated venue is.  For Dallas, they were presenting two albums of new material.  I don't know, maybe that's just me.  I will require a seated venue in the future, or I will skip it.  Judging by the amount of cars that had already left by the last note, I might not be the only one that was a bit disappointed.  If the band skipped Via Chicago and Outtasite/Outtamind, someone on the stage wasn't feeling it either.

I'm really looking forward to standing throughout the seated shows at the Ace next week. I'm not postponing my happiness. My fingers are crossed for sets consisting of nothing but songs from Cousin and Cruel Country.