Wilco — 8 March 2024, Osaka, Japan (Namba Hatch)

And just like that, Wilco (and Finom’s) three-show run in the Land of the Rising Sun has come to an end, hopefully not for another decade. I have no idea if there were any special surprises as the tour moved on to Osaka, but once again, thanks to the quick work of the good folk at Wilcoworld, at least we know what was played.

Otherwise, we await any reportage from those in attendance and/or social media evidence to emerge (preferably the former)…

For now, the setlist for Osaka courtesy of Wilcoworld (and already griped about by at least one member of this forum):

Hell Is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

Pittsburgh

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

If I Ever Was A Child

Side With The Seeds

Random Name Generator

Muzzle Of Bees

Hummingbird

Evicted

Box Full Of Letters

Jesus, etc.

Impossible Germany

Whole Love

Theologians

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

A Shot In The Arm

—————————————

Via Chicago

California Stars (with Sima Cunningham and Macie Stewart of Finom on vocals and Spencer Tweedy on shakers and drums)

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (with Sima Cunningham, Macie Stewart and Spencer Tweedy of Finom on backing vocals?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which was the show that almost wasn’t, at least for me.  

After a rough night without much sleep and perhaps some bad midnight udon noodles, I almost didn’t go to the show cause I felt like crap all day.  Waiting for the delayed bullet train on the 34F degree platform for almost two hours did not help. Apparently there was an incident involving a train and a person somewhere that delayed all the trains from Tokyo to Osaka (including, according to Cheryl’s post) the band.  But come showtime I thought I was stable enough to make it so I went on in during the Finom set which made the wait much less.

Sadly I didn’t make it all the way through the show, having to exit the front area about 1/3 of the way through.  I did manage to get back in to the back area for a few more songs before having to bail before the encore and head back to my hotel.  I’ve never left a Wilco show before the end in my life.  Sigh…

So, Namba Hatch is a somewhat older venue than the Tokyo pair, with a similar setup of open floor and smaller seated balcony.  Much smaller room than the Tokyo ones, with a funky spaceship-like motif inside and out. Once again great sound.  And once again minimal banter, although Jeff did offer this explanation for that while i was still there.   He said that he isn’t talking very much at these shows because he can’t speak the language. But what he can do is play music, and he wanted to communicate with the audience in the language of music.  This did get a very nice response from the audience. 

The setlist had a few nice swap outs, and I was fortunate enough to hear Muzzle of Bees before I had to skip out.

Oh, and I was able to meet Hi-Rose (Rae)at this show who asked if I knew Kidsmoke (the VC person, not the song), and of course WHO DOESN’T??? Nice meeting her and also Osamu at these shows… good to see Japan has their share of rabid / long term loyal fans too.  

Hopefully there were others who could chime in with any other notable moments. And btw I am feeling quite a bit better today as I make my way to Australia “via Hong Kong”.  

See y’all soon. 

Vince

• Like 2

8 March 2024, Osaka, Japan

As mentioned, the band moved pretty quickly from song to song. Jeff's comments about communicating through music came after an American-sounding guy in the crowd yelled three times demanding that Jeff "say something". Jeff responded with exasperated looks the first few times (my wife said she thought Jeff flipped him off, but I didn't notice that).  Then, after a song, he said that "an American in the crowd is trying to make this all about himself, as Americans often do." (I'm American too, so it was embarrassing but I had to agree). It was quite the put-down, we didn't hear from the American guy after that. Then he talked about wanting to avoid talking since he didn't speak the language, and preferred to speak through music. He also said a little later that he has never had a bad crowd in Japan. The crowd was very positive and happy. 

During California Stars in the encore, he brought out Finom, the opening band, including Spencer on drums. The two women from Fincom sang backup and a verse, and Spencer shook the shaker for half the song, then he and Glenn did a carefully choreographed switching of seats midway, so he could play the drums for the second half. They all stayed on stage for Spiders, the final song, and participated in the audience a cappella  sing-along of the power chords in the second half. Jeff gave Spencer a sweet hug on the way out after the song.

All beautiful.

• Like 4
On 3/8/2024 at 10:00 PM, theashtraysays said:

Which was the show that almost wasn’t, at least for me.  

After a rough night without much sleep and perhaps some bad midnight udon noodles, I almost didn’t go to the show cause I felt like crap all day.  Waiting for the delayed bullet train on the 34F degree platform for almost two hours did not help. Apparently there was an incident involving a train and a person somewhere that delayed all the trains from Tokyo to Osaka (including, according to Cheryl’s post) the band.  But come showtime I thought I was stable enough to make it so I went on in during the Finom set which made the wait much less.

Sadly I didn’t make it all the way through the show, having to exit the front area about 1/3 of the way through.  I did manage to get back in to the back area for a few more songs before having to bail before the encore and head back to my hotel.  I’ve never left a Wilco show before the end in my life.  Sigh…

So, Namba Hatch is a somewhat older venue than the Tokyo pair, with a similar setup of open floor and smaller seated balcony.  Much smaller room than the Tokyo ones, with a funky spaceship-like motif inside and out. Once again great sound.  And once again minimal banter, although Jeff did offer this explanation for that while i was still there.   He said that he isn’t talking very much at these shows because he can’t speak the language. But what he can do is play music, and he wanted to communicate with the audience in the language of music.  This did get a very nice response from the audience. 

The setlist had a few nice swap outs, and I was fortunate enough to hear Muzzle of Bees before I had to skip out.

Oh, and I was able to meet Hi-Rose (Rae)at this show who asked if I knew Kidsmoke (the VC person, not the song), and of course WHO DOESN’T??? Nice meeting her and also Osamu at these shows… good to see Japan has their share of rabid / long term loyal fans too.  

Hopefully there were others who could chime in with any other notable moments. And btw I am feeling quite a bit better today as I make my way to Australia “via Hong Kong”.  

See y’all soon. 

Vince

Glad you're-- wait hold on.

Glad you're feeling better!! Hopefully Australia is full of sickness free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/9/2024 at 1:57 AM, befubashi said:

8 March 2024, Osaka, Japan

As mentioned, the band moved pretty quickly from song to song. Jeff's comments about communicating through music came after an American-sounding guy in the crowd yelled three times demanding that Jeff "say something". Jeff responded with exasperated looks the first few times (my wife said she thought Jeff flipped him off, but I didn't notice that).  Then, after a song, he said that "an American in the crowd is trying to make this all about himself, as Americans often do." (I'm American too, so it was embarrassing but I had to agree). It was quite the put-down, we didn't hear from the American guy after that. Then he talked about wanting to avoid talking since he didn't speak the language, and preferred to speak through music. He also said a little later that he has never had a bad crowd in Japan. The crowd was very positive and happy. 

During California Stars in the encore, he brought out Finom, the opening band, including Spencer on drums. The two women from Fincom sang backup and a verse, and Spencer shook the shaker for half the song, then he and Glenn did a carefully choreographed switching of seats midway, so he could play the drums for the second half. They all stayed on stage for Spiders, the final song, and participated in the audience a cappella  sing-along of the power chords in the second half. Jeff gave Spencer a sweet hug on the way out after the song.

All beautiful.

Thank you for the recap!