Nels Cline Lap Steel Tuning

Guest chrisr0712

Wow, funny I was just thinking about that last night. Uncanny. :omg

I concluded awhile ago that he was using an open G (DBDGBD - low to high), but then I recalled seeing somewhere that he was using a variation on open G . I could not find that in relation to the lap steel, but I found this in an interview with respect to open tuning on standard guitar:

"The guitar I’ve played on virtually everything for the past nine years is a ’59 Jazzmaster,” says Cline. “It still has the original pickups and hardware, but just about everything else has been replaced. I also play a Jerry Jones 12-string and a Baritone, as well as a candy-apple red ’66 Fender Electric XII, and a Hagstr

Edited by zoom

You can tell on the Walken video from ACL that he is playing in open G, or at least the top 4 strings are the same as open G.

I hope some more info surfaces... trying to learn this darn instrument myself.

Its an open G definately. If your just starting out, using a volume pedal with a lap steel gives a lovely effect....

Its an open G definately. If your just starting out, using a volume pedal with a lap steel gives a lovely effect....

volume pedal + reverb = awesome.

Now I just have to figure out how to effectively block the unwanted strings and I'll be set :beer

Now I just have to figure out how to effectively block the unwanted strings and I'll be set :beer

This for me came as a complete mystery. I sucked at lap steel but my band made me play it live and one day it just sounded so much cleaner. The whole instrument is a mystery to me but it sounds great.

This for me came as a complete mystery. I sucked at lap steel but my band made me play it live and one day it just sounded so much cleaner. The whole instrument is a mystery to me but it sounds great.

Good - there's hope for me yet.

Did you try any of the instructional DVDs/books, or just perservere on your own?

Did you try any of the instructional DVDs/books, or just perservere on your own?

I just read a few things on the internet. But for advice from the pros I went to Steve Kimock and Gordon Stone. Kimock has an online discussion forum which he is involved and he answered a lot of my questions. http://www.online-discussion.com/SteveKimock/ He is the reason I got into lap steel in the first place. Gordon Stone I talked to on the phone but I can't give out his cell phone number.

I'd say just play. If you're any good at guitar, your hands and ears already have a special relationship. From there, it just takes time and patience.

I just read a few things on the internet. But for advice from the pros I went to Steve Kimock and Gordon Stone. Kimock has an online discussion forum which he is involved and he answered a lot of my questions. http://www.online-discussion.com/SteveKimock/ He is the reason I got into lap steel in the first place. Gordon Stone I talked to on the phone but I can't give out his cell phone number.

I'd say just play. If you're any good at guitar, your hands and ears already have a special relationship. From there, it just takes time and patience.

Cool - I love Kimock's playing. Used to go see Zero in SF when that band was still together... will check out his forum. Thanks for the tip.

If you can play with fingerpicks or just your nails, you can mute extra strings with whichever fingers you're not using...

Guest blind boy grunt

Damping the strings with your left hand (or whatever hand you hold the slide in) is extremely important to getting a clean sound.

You ought to try learning bottleneck style first. It's a lot easier to pick up and once you have that down, lapsteel/dobro style isn't very far off. Of course, both of them take a lot of practice and a nice touch. Beautiful instrument though, I wish I had a real pedal steel, I've only got the cheapy Artisan lap slide :D. Practice practice practice.

• 3 months later...

I highly suggest Cindy Cashdollars videos. Ive been playing pedal/lap steel for many years, and in my opinion,

her videos are the best for learning the instrument. Shes an awesome player..

www.cindycashdollar.com

I use c6th tuning or Open G on lap steel. Em7 on pedal.

I

Thats true, although the instruments are nothing alike save for the fact that they both have strings. Completely different skillset.

"It still has the original pickups and hardware, but just about everything else has been replaced."

Anybody else confused by this? What exactly is replaced, some software?

That would imply the body, neck, headstock have all been replaced. Seems weird to keep a bridge and tuners and replace a body, but who knows?

Hey jhc, what happened with that Jesus etc lap steel tab you were going to post a few months back??

Crap - I forgot. I'll see if I can find my handwritten copy at home

• 4 weeks later...
If you can scan it I can type it into a tab! And probably arrange it for some other tunings as well.

Hey, I posted it in the Lyrics and Tabs section