I had this idea for a capo that would not actually clamp down on all the strings but instead allow you to choose what strings you want capoed, allowing you to hit alternate tunings without the tuning part. However, I just found a capo that did exactly this. Anybody have this? Heard of it? I'm really interested as I'm always moving inbetween tunings and that puts a lot of stress on my guitars; stress I would like to avoid. Is it worth the $12?

I have one. I think I used it twice. Its much too finicky. Its probably quicker and easier to re-tune than to use this thing 'cause you have to line up the rubber pieces that push the strings down just so so that you don't get any buzzing or muted strings. If you can find someone who has one, steal it from them; or try to find one in a pawn shop for $.30. But don't pay $12.

• 2 weeks later...

By putting the clippy-style capos on upside down, you can leave the bottom E open. It's cool. On the 2nd fret you can play an E with the D voicing - it's kind of like playing in drop D, but in the key of E instead (kind of like the solo Sunken Treasure). On the 4th fret you can play E in a C voicing and get some cool maj7s and harmonics.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's a start.