Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins

What a lovely evening!

The weather was fine and warm, I drove down and didn't get lost (though parking was a bit of a bugger) and we witnessed the last European night of Jenny Lewis' tour.

Flanked by the outrageously tall Watson Twins, her voice was amazing live - I was a little bit worried that she may not be able to translate it from the record, but I needn't have. The band were also really tight, it was obvious they'd toured a lot together whilst the music had a more country twang to it live with the lap steel guitar prominent in the mix. There was a little communication with the crowd, though this improved as the night progressed - there was even some audience participation for Paradise with us clinking our change for percussion.

I think the only thing that disappointed me a bit was the lack of Handle With Care and a bit more of a connection with the audience - though once they'd come back on for the encore, everything seemed to relax and turned into a gospel / cowboy party no doubt helped by Jenny asking the crowd to stand and move forward - there's certainly a lack of atmosphere at the Empire if it's all seating.

Support came from Jonathan Rice who I really liked, don't know much about him but he was part of Jenny's backing band - acoustic guitars and lap steel sounded really good, his voice a breathless baritone.

All in all a really nice night and I believe Andrewdowdall enjoyed himself as well - hope you got back ok!

Unfortunately both of us forgot our camera's... but fashion report is as follows:

Jenny Lewis - boots, long white dress with blues flowers - very pretty.

Watson Twins - long slinky black numbers.

That's as much as you're getting from me!

Muller: It was rubbish (if that makes it easier to miss).

Everyone else: It was fantastic.

It's been a while since I have been to a show where I didn't already have an emotional connection with an artist and their music i.e. I don't go to that many shows. I really like her latest album (possibly the only album released this year I've yet bought if I remember - though Emmylou is on order), but that 'link' was not in place. That changed last night. A great show. Nice variation in pace during the set. High energy at times without needing to be over loud (all other performers please note! - sorry just one of my bugbears).

Her voice was much better live that I had been expecting, and it's a rare treat to hear harmonies as good from the Watson Twins - I had christened them the Sisters of Slink myself, and I see that Rich has already got that word in. Mortician chic indeed. Excellent lap steel/guitar. 3 news songs that bode well for a follow up album.

Johnathan Rice was the support act aided by the lap steel/guitar player for almost all his songs. On the night he was fine - would have been a bit bare and over earnest for me without the accompanyment - listening to bits from his album from his website it is even better - some nice string arrangements etc.

My fashion report: Wasn't it a lemon dress?

Tube report: Bit of a delay at Shepherd's Bush. Slick change from Central Line to Jubilee at Bond Street. 11:20 train. Bed before the end of the Shipping Forecast. Hurrah!

Sounds good guys. I kinda forgot about the fact that I couldnt go last night as I found out yesterday that we've just lost the house we were two days away from signing for...

I shall certainly be around for the next time she comes over here though. whether that be on her own or with Rilo Kiley.

White/Lemon dress besides im sure she looked very fine indeed.

Oh and Rich I dont know if youve heard it but the Jonathan Rice album is really good. PM me if you need it.

we've just lost the house we were two days away from signing for...

Hoping something even better will come up.

Leave the haute couture commentary to Trinny and Susannah!

With pleasure :monkey

Jenny Lewis stand up comedy routine report: 50%

(1) So, this dyslexic walks into a bra ...

(2) Too bad to bother repeating.

Glad to hear you boys had a good time! My one question: Did she do that Jack Killed Mom song? That song blew me away when I saw her live.

And if you believe the gossip, Johnathan Rice is Jenny's boyfriend. Lucky for you, you got him as an opener and not the horrible, horrible bands we had to sit through. I have his album and although I like his voice, it's a little too John Mayer-ish for me.

Did she do that Jack Killed Mom song?

Oh yes. One of the'new songs' and quite possibly my favourite of the night too.

Muller: I am led to believe that The Album show on E4 late tonight has a Jenny Watson live song performance if that is any comfort. Also, I think they have recorded a Later with JH spot. She did mention being there with Eddie Vedder. I thought this was from some time ago, but what do I see for the new series of Later (and rumoured elsewhere on the net):-

Friday 5th May, BBC2, 11.35pm

Pearl Jam, Corinne Bailey Rae and The Zutons are among the acts appearing on the first show of the new series. More details will be announced soon.

Fri 12th May

Richard Ashcroft, We Are Scientists & John Fogerty

Fri 19th May

Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, Dr John & Gnarls Barkley

Fri 26th May

David Gilmour, The Streets, David Crosby & Graham Nash

So, they must have been around London for a few days. Will all rock stars please note - do something cultural and visit the Tower of London while you're here. I'll get more chance to bump into you then.

Oh yes. One of the'new songs' and quite possibly my favourite of the night too.

Muller: I am led to believe that The Album show on E4 late tonight has a Jenny Watson live song performance if that is any comfort. Also, I think they have recorded a LaAter with JH spot. She did mention being there with Eddie Veder (spelling?). I thought this was from some time ago, but what do I see for the new series of Later (and rumoured elsewhere on the net):-

Friday 5th May, BBC2, 11.35pm

Pearl Jam, Corinne Bailey Rae and The Zutons are among the acts appearing on the first show of the new series. More details will be announced soon.

Fri 12th May

Richard Ashcroft, We Are Scientists & John Fogerty

Fri 19th May

Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, Dr John & Gnarls Barkley

Fri 26th May

David Gilmour, The Streets, David Crosby & Graham Nash

Cool ill look out for that cheers Andrew.

Glad to hear you boys had a good time! My one question: Did she do that Jack Killed Mom song? That song blew me away when I saw her live.

Yeah - that was a good song - like some weird gospel type thing full of organ and slide guitar... great stuff.

And if you believe the gossip, Johnathan Rice is Jenny's boyfriend. Lucky for you, you got him as an opener and not the horrible, horrible bands we had to sit through. I have his album and although I like his voice, it's a little too John Mayer-ish for me.

And Jonathan Rice dedicated a song to the "special" Watson Twin.... he didn't name her, so perhaps not Jenny then...

yeah, thoes openers in atlanta were horrible. i felt bad for that one band...then the scary guy and his drummer...bugh.

i like Johnathan's voice...though it is a bit Mayer-ish... :yucky

Maybe Jenny is the "special" Watson twin.

:P

My sister got to hang with the Watson's after the show, because my Dad met their Grandma and family (he was actually sitting next to them in the back and they all talked) it was pretty cool... they picture she took with them is really cure, I'll see if she'll let me post it.

I saw Jen Lewis and Jonathan Rice in Toronto at the Opera House and Jen Lewis was top notch, all her vocals perfect and "The Watson Twins" were great as well. Jonathan Rice however was pretty terrible and only played a few songs before storming offstage in a hissy fit. He was even the worst musician in Jen Lewis' band!

I saw Jen Lewis and Jonathan Rice in Toronto at the Opera House and Jen Lewis was top notch, all her vocals perfect and "The Watson Twins" were great as well. Jonathan Rice however was pretty terrible and only played a few songs before storming offstage in a hissy fit. He was even the worst musician in Jen Lewis' band!

Why did Jonathan storm off stage? When I saw him he was pretty good, nothing great though.