back in the '70s, it used to be the NL winning all the All-Star games. In terms of World Serieses, let's see:

70 - Orioles

71 - Pirates

72-74 A's

75-76 - Reds

77-78 Yanks

79 Pirates

Slight edge to the AL in those terms.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between the two league right now is as stark as I can ever remember. I don't care how good the Mets are playing, I'd still take at least 5 times in the AL over the best in the NL.

Oh, and Jeter's an overrated captain.

The Marlins were one of the few NL teams who held their own against the AL. You know how many NL teams were over .500 against the AL? 2. 2! That's ridiculous.

I think we were .500 until the red Sox took 2/3.

I'm just saying a guy like Glaus who has arguably better stats than Uggla is nowhere near as valuable to his team because it is a different style of play.

But what does that have to do with VORP? Isn't his VORP higher than Glaus's because Glaus plays 3B, whereas Uggla plays 2B? Uggla is the first or second-best offensive second baseman in the game, where as Glaus is about the tenth-best third baseman.

I think we were .500 until the red Sox took 2/3.

Well, I think they finished 9-9. Not over .500, not under.

But what does that have to do with VORP? Isn't his VORP higher than Glaus's because Glaus plays 3B, whereas Uggla plays 2B? Uggla is the first or second-best offensive second baseman in the game, where as Glaus is about the tenth-best third baseman.

You are right, my logic is wrong. I was just trying to find a way to justify the AL kicking the NL's ass.

For the record, I'd still rather watch NL baseball. I can't stand the DH.

Who's to say with certainty, but it's difficult to dismiss as fiction accounts like the ones Buck O'Neil, himself a Negro League icon, can spin about Paige.

O'Neil tells a story from 1942 about Paige and the Kansas City Monarchs.

:wub

Happy birthday, indeed, Satchel.

(And yes, I am still upset that Buck O'Neil got denied the HOF. If it ever actually happens, it certainly won't be during his lifetime, which would have been the most inspiring part.)

Guest baseball bobblehead
Today is the first game of a three game Red Sox/White Sox series at the Cell.

I am predicting the final color to be light pink, with the White Sox winning two of three.

i predict a complete sweep. all white, with the red sox limping home like a lost dog.

i predict a complete sweep. all white, with the red sox limping home like a lost dog.

That's pretty harsh. If they lose they don't get to fly on their plane back home? It just seems like an awfully long walk, especially if they're limping.

The Homerun Derby has a much better lineup than last year.

I am very excited to see if Miguel can try and break the Marlins previous home run derby record of 0, held by Gary Sheffield in 1996.

Isn't that your predicition for every series? :lol

Well, they've won 9 straight series and swept only two of those, so I'd say it's a pretty good prediction.

With that said, the White Sox might struggle tonight against Lester. They often have a hard time against rookies they haven't seen before.

Well, they've won 9 straight series and swept only two of those, so I'd say it's a pretty good prediction.

With that said, the White Sox might struggle tonight against Lester. They often have a hard time against rookies they haven't seen before.

And it's already 2-naught, bottom of the first coming up.

old news kiddo :P

Not sure how it could be old news, as it happened a couple of hours before I posted about it and hadn't been mentioned here yet, but whatever.

The Royals kicked ass and a half tonight!!! 13-3 over Toronto. :dancing

We've got a thing here where if the guys get 12 hits, we can redeem our ticket for a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts. But tonight, the "Fireworks Friday" post-game display did not function properly, so they told us that we can redeem our ticket for a rain check to any other game this season.

My mom wants both. (She's both precious and thrify, in that order.)

Hmm...

Tonight Travis Hafner hit his fifth grand slam of the season. The season record is six. Wow.

Yeah, he's not an all star.

Man, Dontrelle hit a bomb tonight. Grand slam for the pitcher. Easily 400 feet. Lima-time indeed.

There is also a story out of Boston that, contrary to other reports, Manny is staying in the All Star game because he wants to play for Ozzie and it was just that Tito wanted him to sit out. So what's the deal, man.

No matter: Manny will be replaced (officially: "knee") by Magglio Ordonez for the ASG.