The weakerthans

Just came back from the show and the ears are still buzzing. This band is about as indie pop as I go and I was sorta put off by all the 'know all the lyrics and sing along' fans that crowded up front.

However it was a great and long show with songs from all three of the CDs. Bonus were the 5 or 6 new songs that I gotta say bode well for the next release. It looks like John Sampson has discovered what backing vocals can do and the new songs just friggin fly.

Talked to them quickly after the show and the US and European leg of the tour start up on July. Also asked about a new cd and sadly it looks like recorded versions of the new songs will not be heard for a while. Sampson must draw out a lot of stalkers. I was walking to the car with my husband, saw the band in the parking lot and went up and asked my questions, complimenting them on the show. Sampson immediately moved to the farthest point away and the other members did the talking. Ah well, I guess if you've got that many people memorizing your very obscure lyrics, there are bound to be nutcase-uber-fans.

Go see em, but I guess don't talk to them in parking lots....

June 20: Ottawa, ON @ The New Capital Music Hall - tickets

June 22: Hamilton, ON @ The Underground

June 23: Toronto, ON @ Fort York # - SOLD OUT

June 24: Toronto, ON @ Fort York # - SOLD OUT

July 9: Buffalo, NY @ Town Ballroom * - tickets

July 10: Cleveland, OH @ The Grog Shop * - tickets

July 11: Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club * - tickets

July 12: Philadelphia, PA @ TLA ^ - tickets

July 13: New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom ^ - tickets

July 14: Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club ^ - tickets

July 15: St. Adele, PQ @ Bourbon St. North #

July 29: Toronto, ON @ Harbour Front

# - with The Tragically Hip

* - with Raising the Fawn and New Amsterdams

^ - with Greg Graffin and New Amsterdams

European Leg

August 2: London (UK) @ Meanfiddler with TOMTE

August 3: Amsterdam (NL) @ Paradiso Club with TOMTE

August 4: Hannover (GER) @ Gilde Park B

Edited by lizish

i've not heard it yet myself. supposedly it's more folk-y singer/songwriter stuff, so i'd say no, prolly not like BR.

i liked his first solo record, American Lesion, but i'm thinking this is diff from that even.

They were really nice guys when I interviewed them last year... Stephen Carroll even insisted I drink Wild Turkey and sing "Jeremy" on Karaoke while waiting for John K.

As much as I love to see them live, I really wish theyd get into the studio.. theyve been touring this record forever.

I don't think I knew he had a solo album already. His voice doesn't seem like it would lend it self to folk.

check out TIME AND DISREGARD from their out of print INTO THE UNKNOWN album. it's tragically bad folk about birds, trees, housing developments, etc. i'd think that'd be enough to discourage graffin from the genere.