Everybody OK in Chicago?

OK here, but my sister missed that train by literally seconds as it left the Lake street station just before it derailed. She had stopped to talk to a friend on her way out of the office; otherwise, she'd have been on it for sure....

Quick Edit: Things are obviously much worse in Bombay :no

Not that a derailment is good news either, but I hope the initial belief that it's a derailment and nothing more sinister prove to be right.

I haven't heard of any serious injuries. That's good news.

yeah, it's not bad.....I really do enjoy the Metra ride and can kick back with a drink and a book and relax. You can even take beer on the Metra if you wanted to......I haven't done that though ;)

It is pretty nice - I also like having a parking space, the mom and pop shops in the various local downtown areas, the ability to go to the store at any time, people don't get shot on our street (well, not since we've been here anyway) the fact I can walk 10 feet and be in a nice grassy area, and room to do some gardening. My daughter is now able to go outside and play without worry. She has already made friends that live in our apartment complex and loves being here.

There are defintiely things I miss about the city too. I may land a job really close to our new place, so that will keep me out of the city except on Saturdays and for ball games.

There's definately some perks that go along with the city or the suburbs. I love living in the city (I lived in the suburbs of Detroit for waaaay too long), but I think if I had a kid I'd probably want to be in the suburbs too. On my way to work in the morning, I've occassionally seen parents getting off the Red Line with their kids to take their kids to school, and that just strikes me as being so difficult. Dealing with all the people on the train and in the streets can be tough enough alone, but trying to take care of a little kid amongst all that really can't be easy.

Edited by MrRain422

ah man, we didn't take enough advantage of hanging out in the cit-ay, kate! when did you move?

enjoy the metra - i too like those train rides. they are massive lighting-like machines, but it's a smooth comfortable efficient eco-friendly ride, and that's something I can get on board with. (nyuck nyuck... sorry)

all are okay in our part of hte hood too! phew!

• 6 years later...

Always seems to be a relevant question

Nope, just another somewhat boring day. Hot as hell actually.

LouisB

:blink  Birthday or not, you're still too young for me to refer to you as "Louis".  :P