Golden Smog -- 7/26/06, Bowery Ballroom, NYC

Just got back from the show and had to at least post a setlist and a guest-star report. I would love to be a fly on the wall backstage at a New York Smog show sometime, just to see who's hanging around. If last night's show was any indication, there were probably some pretty interesting folks.

Anyhow, making an appearance on stage at some point in the night (as noted below) were folk singer Jenny Muldaur (daughter of Geoff and Maria), drummer Linda Pitmon (of Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3 fame, among other things), Mike Mills (of some band called R.E.M.) and Craig Finn (of the Hold Steady, an old Minneapolis friend I'm sure). There was also an intermittent three-piece horn section, about which I don't know much.

I'll let others who might have been at the show chime in, but in general it just seemed like the guys were in a good mood. Lots of smiles to go around and not too many technical issues (aside from a crackly speaker at stage right).

Here's what I've got for a setlist [lead vox as noted]:

Looking Forward To Seeing You [Gary and Kraig]

You Make It Easy [Kraig]

V [Kraig]

To Call My Own [Dan]

Beautiful Mind [Kraig]

Think About Yourself [Gary]

Ill Fated [Dan]

5-22-02 [Kraig, with horns and Jenny background vox]

Starman [Gary]

Frying Pan Eyes [Kraig, with Linda on drums]

Jennifer Save Me [Gary]

Can't Even Tie Your Own Shoes [Gary and Kraig, with horns]

Hurricane [Dan]

Won't Be Coming Home [Gary]

Never Felt Before [Dan, with horns]

Cure For This [Jenny lead vox]

Another Fine Day [Gary]

He's a Dick [Kraig]

If I Only Had A Car [Kraig]

Corvette [Dan and Gary]

---------------------------------

Gone [Gary]

Until You Came Along [Gary]

Revolution Blues [Kraig, with Mike Mills on guitar]

I Wanna Be Your Dog [Craig Finn lead vox]

Oh, I forgot to add that Gary mentioned how they had like nine or 10 leftovers from the Another Fine Day sessions that will be coming out on an EP in January. The cover of Starman, he said, was going to be on it. They also played another song, that Can't Even Tie Your Own Shoes one, that is apparently going to be on it.

On the setlist (but not played) were a couple of other ones that might show up there. One was called Scotch and Ice, which I guess was played in Minneapolis the other night. Tarpit, which I guess is the Dinosaur Jr. song, was also on the list but they didn't get to that one either.

nice!

Last year for First Ave's 35th Anniversary Deal, Kraig played a set of all Stooges covers w/ Mike Watt on vocals and Craig Finn came out for I Wanna Be Your Dog too if i recall. It was pretty awesome.

sounds like you got a great show as wel Paul!

I heard Winona Ryder was there in the front row all drunk and stuff yelling for Tweedy. Eventually some guy came over and explained to her that Tweedy was not there and it was pretty obvious that he would not be participating in the tour. Then he politely asked her to leave.

I'm kidding of course.

Here's tape of Craig Finn singing I Wanna Be Your Dog.

I am actually headed downtown to the free Hold Steady show that is taking place tonight in New York. Can't wait to see them again and hear the new songs. Maybe Gary and some of the guys from GS will reciprocate and show up at their show.

Hey! My second time seeing the Smog! Had a blast...2hr+ set! Gary's Fro gets crazier everytime! Good show...would like to see em once with Tweedy but they are strong enough of a band to be enjoyable without him too! The new album is really growing on me. The obvious highlight for me was seeing Mike Mills (Duh! Look at my user name!) I got to meet him downstairs after the show....he is soo friendly and down to earth. I met him once before back in 2001 but this was a better enviornment than my last encounter. I thanked him for all the great fanclub perks and stuff they had and got in a request for Texarkana which he said maybe next time! Met Dan murphy too and he was nice! :cheers

Edited by remphish1

I really enjoyed the show- it put a huge smile on my face!! Revolution Blues was not to be missed. The only disappointment for me was no "making waves int he bathroom" That's my favorite cut off Weird Tales. Tweedy was not needed at this show and in fact it may have been a distraction having him there. His absences let these guys do their thing un-interrupted. All respect to tweed man no doubt.