Bakesale is the best place to start. It's the most cohesive album they released and mixes the best of Barlow and Lowenstein's songs. In fact, it has J-Lo's best songs on it. III, Bubble & Scrape and Harmacy are also great records. Harmacy is there most commercial and has their "hits" on it. III is getting reissued in a few weeks, so you may want to pick it up then. III has Eric Gaffney's best songs on it, which tend to be noise-rock freak outs. Avoid the early stuff (freed weed, freed man, etc) as they are way too noisy for a novice.

Don't forget the Folk Implosion or Barlow's solo stuff. Some of it is great!

I'll keep this post short - Sebadoh is my favorite indie band of all-time (Fuck Pavement). If you wanna know more shit, just hit me up. I can hook you up with some stuff.

Why the hate for Pavement BrianJeremy?

I don't hate them, they're actually one of my favorite bands. They just get a lot of credit for stuff that sebadoh was doing years before they were. Why they are so lauded while Sebadoh remain fairly obscure is a great tragedy to me.

I interviewed him a month or two's back (linky) and asked him the same question and he suggested going to his website http://www.loobiecore.com/ and look at the free stuff he's upped on there!

I also second everything brianjeremy says re: Sebadoh but I'd definitely recommend the Folk Implosion record One Part Lullaby which I think had some of Barlow's best songs on... And his solo record is really good too, took me a while to get into it but now it's a frequent player.

"The Sebadoh" is the only Sebadoh album I own. And it's one of my favorite albums ever.

Seriously, that's not one of their better albums. I mean, there are some good tracks on it, like Flame, but it's nowhere near as good as their mid-career albums.