New Batman film announced

Taken from Comingsoon.net:

As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's The New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun, which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster's Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

"Chris' unique vision is what made 'Batman Begins' such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of 'The Dark Knight,'" said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with 'Batman Begins,'" added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of Heath Ledger, he strikes me as a bit limited in range as in he can only do brooding*.

* - for 'brooding' read 'mumbles a lot'

• 3 years later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIcqUokPiTw

Wow! What a crazy weekend that I didn't see coming!

I got my power knocked out, while I was online about to post my 1,000th post to VC.

Yep, no power from 11:35p.m. Thursday night until Sunday 5:30p.m. :mellow

Oh well. I really can't complain with all of the other horrible disasters going on.

It's been tough to start posting again. I'm not sure exactly why that is? Maybe it was nice to not have a computer for 3 days.

Anyways, I would like to thank some people for reaching a 1,000 posts on a message board.

I'd like to thank Al Gore for inventing the Internet. Capital "I" right?

I'd like to thank the people responsible for creating a horrible economy, so that I don't have a job and it lets me scour the net for job postings, job research and coming here to take a break from all of that.

I'd like to thank my dog Dylan. There's a lot of time when he has to go out and do his business and I tell him that I need to post in a certain thread. Although, anytime I post in a political thread, it's usually his thoughts that he puts through to me via mental telepathy.

I'd like to thank Josephine for her interesting yet ill advised perception on Battlestar Gallactica and the Ship Of Lights (?!). This was the 1st post that I read with my power on. I get the ABBA jokes, but this just seems way out there. But it's ok, we can all pull through this.

I'd like to thank my back and eyes for putting up with me being on a computer for a long time. No wonder why I can't walk without feeling like collapsing.

That's pretty much it. I guess I liked the idea of posting in an old thread.

Now I can go and defend a few films that I love that got panned while I was away.

Thank you!

PS The song is dedicated to all of VC.

Edit: If you want some Batman news I have some.

Christopher Nolan & his brother Jonah are writing the 3rd film right now with David S. Goyer (who actually just left FlashForward mid production).

Christopher Nolan is also "Godfathering" (?) the "new" Superman reboot titled Man Of Steel which will be directed by his brother who has never directed a movie in his life. Lastly, Nolan is involved in both franchises because he wants to do/probably more likely oversee a Justice League movie (via DC & WB) to compete with Marvel's Avengers film coming in 2011.

Guest Runaway Jim

You are one random dude.

Interesting to see the comments above questioning the choice of Heath Ledger, who was obviously incredible in TDK. All in spite of the fact that the movie really wasn't very good (now you can defend this one)...

who was obviously incredible in TDK.

when I read this I thought of those TDK cassette tape commercials from the 80s where the tag line was a valley girl voice that said "TDK is SO real."

it took me a while to get to The Dark Knight. acronym use bewilders me.

You are one random dude.

Interesting to see the comments above questioning the choice of Heath Ledger, who was obviously incredible in TDK. All in spite of the fact that the movie really wasn't very good (now you can defend this one)...

I'm sorry but....

TCFTIEH.jpg

Guest Runaway Jim

I figured someone would say that. But it's not a very good movie. The opening sequence with the joker and his gang robbing the bank was great. The semi flipping over scene was great. And Heath Ledger was remarkably great. But the rest is just overrated. The sonar bit at the end was terrible. I don't think I've ever been letdown by a movie as much as I was with TDK, but my expectations were tremendously high.

I liked Batman Begins far better.

I'm not agreeing with your opinion, but I will say that I definitely felt like The Magnificent Nolan Bros. had more in mind for future Joker stories that made the film feel a bit inconclusive.

Sadly, we all know what happened to Heath and the majority of the people that are willing to speak to me ( :shifty ) all agree that we wish he was around so that Batman and Joker can do what they do again. I guess what I'm saying is that I wish that we had more from this team in terms of everyone involved, but this is it.

But all of the questions that run through the comics are in here: Why doesn't the Batman ever kill the Joker? Wouldn't he save lives by doing that? Well, that doesn't flow with his ethics. Wait....Batman has ethics? Would the Joker exist in a world without Batman and of course vice versa?