Townes Van Zandt

I just saw the documentary about TVZ and was interested in checking out his music...Where should a newbie begin?

Also, do you have a favorite TVZ song?

Thanks in advance! :cheers

I assume you live in america, so you'll have to wait a bit for this to arrive, but just get this: Boxset It's got his first 7 albums plus a few bonus cuts and some live tracks from the Live at the Old Quarter Houston Texas album. Although it's a little bit more than purchasing one album, you'll thank me in the long run as they are all great. If you don't want to do this then go for what rghammo said - my favourite album is High, Low and Inbetween, and The Late Great Townes Van Zandt is another great one too.

EDIT: You can get this from Amazon in America, but it is $39, so make sure you get it from the UK, where it is only

"High, Low, and In Between" and "The Late, Great Townes Van Zandt" are available packaged on one CD. That would be the best start imo.

Yes...that and Live at the Quarter is good as well.

LouieB

Yes...that and Live at the Quarter is good as well.

LouieB

2nd vote for Live at the Old Quarter.

I have always thought that the Old Quarter is probably the best representation of what Townes was like in person. The Tomato records are all good, but sometimes mared by over-arrangement. Some of the later material is mared by Townes' premature aging due to alcholism. Either way there is lots to choose from in his catalogue.

LouieB

When I went looking for Live At The Old Quarter earlier this summer, I found it nowhere on line. Someone here at VC explained that all of the Tomato Records catalogue of Van Zandt were out of production.

I found a new copy at an old indie record store.

When I went looking for Live At The Old Quarter earlier this summer, I found it nowhere on line. Someone here at VC explained that all of the Tomato Records catalogue of Van Zandt were out of production.

Very cool. My vinyl copy is rather worn out sadly. Some of the Tomato catalogue is in print in some way because the twofer mentioned above was originally released on Tomato.

Edit- Okay I did an Amazon search and it does appear that much of it is out of print and selling for high prices, although some is still available used at a reasonable cost.

I bought 4 or 5 of the original Tomato LPs as cut outs many many moons ago (at $3 a piece), back when Townes had not yet become in vogue, but was also no longer really of that much interest to most people after his intital recording flurry. Strange how all this happens. There is much material out there from him on other labels, both early and late, but the Tomato stuff doesn't seem readily available.

LouieB

Also, do you have a favorite TVZ song?

To Live is to Fly is my favorite.

We all got holes to fill

Them holes are all that's real

some fall on you like a storm

Sometimes you dig your own

The choice is your to make

Time is yours to take

Some dive into the sea

Some toil upon the stone

To live is to fly, low and high

So shake the dust out of your wings

and the tears out of your eyes

To Live is to Fly is my favorite.

We all got holes to fill

Them holes are all that's real

some fall on you like a storm

Sometimes you dig your own

The choice is your to make

Time is yours to take

Some dive into the sea

Some toil upon the stone

To live is to fly, low and high

So shake the dust out of your wings

and the tears out of your eyes

My favourite too. It was apparently written about Janis Joplin - someone I don't really like, but at least she inspired a great song.

They are all available and pretty cheap as a boxset, as I pointed out earlier (

What is the name of the box set??

LouieB

I believe it's called Texas Troubadour, but I could be wrong. I found it for $25 at a Virgin once and snagged it. Best $25 I ever spent. Live at the Old Quarter is simply without compare though. The new Live at Union Chapel, London, England is good, too. Live Townes is definitely the way to go for a newbie. His stories and jokes are part of the charm.

P.S. I think my favorite Townes song right now is "Don't You Take It Too Bad"

Yeah, it's called Texas Troubadour. It was released as one of those large boxsets first, which goes for a lot of money now, but then they did it again with cardboard covers etc... and made it cheap to buy. I think it was only released in England, which is why it's a little harder to find in America, but certainly not impossible and also it's pretty quick and easy these days to import it from here (I normally have to do it the other way around, and never have to wait long or have a problem).

Also, if anyone is having a problem buying Live at The Old Quarter, that too is cheap and easy to find in England (either through amazon.co.uk or some other method) rather than paying a lot for it from America.

You can get a bunch of his stuff, mostly the Tomato Records, through his website. Townes Van Zandt

I ordered the Live in Amsterdam VHS from there years ago and got a free copy of Rear View Mirror as a bonus and a hand written note from his wife, Jeanene. Looks like they still do the RVM freebie, but it is the cassette now.

Oh and Tecumseh Valley is my favorite by far.

"

So she turned to whoring out on the streets with all the lust inside her."

Everytime I hear it it is like getting hit in the stomach.

A public thankyou to Jimmy Jimmy for first bringing his name to my attention in the NP thread a few months ago (though I'm assuming that Pancho & Lefty is the song I know from Emmylou), and BBH for the heads up on the box set -