Character actor Bruno Kirby, 57, dies

link

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Bruno Kirby, a veteran character actor who co-starred in "When Harry Met Sally," "City Slickers" and many other films, has died at age 57, his wife said Tuesday.

Kirby died Monday in Los Angeles from complications related to leukemia, according to a statement from his wife, Lynn Sellers. He had recently been diagnosed with the disease.

"We are incredibly grateful for the outpouring of support we have received from Bruno's fans and colleagues who have admired and respected his work over the past 30 years," his wife said. "Bruno's spirit will continue to live on not only in his rich body of film and television work but also through the lives of individuals he has touched throughout his life."

Kirby was perhaps best known for his roles opposite Billy Crystal in 1989's "When Harry Met Sally" and 1991's "City Slickers."

Other film credits included "Good Morning, Vietnam," "The Godfather: Part II" and "Donnie Brasco." More recently, he played Phil Rubenstein on the HBO series "Entourage."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

:(

Bruno was hugely funny. I always liked his movie roles.

Damn.

He's at the heart of some of my all-time favorite movie moments.

"Baby Fish Mouth" in When Harry Met Sally

"Yes I can, if Frank Sinatra says it's okay" in This Is Spinal Tap

And of course, stealing the rug in The Godfather Part II.

RIP

Anyone remember Almost Summer? God, I loved that movie. Ridiculous that he was in that 4 years after Godfather 2.

Also, off topic, how much do I love IMDB? Clicking around on the cast of Almost Summer, I find that John Friedrich, who played Darryl Fitzgerald, appeared in an amazing array of 70s pop-culture touchstones: The Boy in the Plastic Bubble, episodes of Baretta and Streets of San Francisco, In the Matter of Karen Ann Quinlan, Forever, Thank God It's Friday, the Studs Lonigan miniseries, and the Wanderers. Damn.