Nel's guitar on "War On War"..........

I hate it.

I've been listening to music my whole life and I'm pretty sure I know by now when something sounds right and when something sounds f*cked up. I have a bunch of live recordings of that song with Nel and his guitar sounds like it's out of tune. Either that or he's trying to do something different in the song that is just not working. The 1 minute of footage on IATTBYH where they rehearse the song on stage sounds perfect, I always thought that THAT is what that song should sound like live. All due respect to Nel of course...but it just isn't happening on that song.

Or hell maybe it's Jeff that's f*cking it up.

Anyone else notice this or am I alone on this island?

Edited by Infamous
I hate it.

I've been listening to music my whole life and I'm pretty sure I know by now when something sounds right and when something sounds f*cked up. I have a bunch of live recordings of that song with Nel and his guitar sounds like it's out of tune. Either that or he's trying to do something different in the song that is just not working. The 1 minute of footage on IATTBYH where they rehearse the song on stage sounds perfect, I always thought that THAT is what that song should sound like live. All due respect to Nel of course...but it just isn't happening on that song.

Or hell maybe it's Jeff that's f*cking it up.

Anyone else notice this or am I alone on this island?

I noticed it too in one of their live shows from Germany. In the intro part of the song Nels slides something that looks like a slide, across the high parts of the strings past the bridge. My guess is that doing that puts the guitar out of tune.

I only noticed it in that one show which is from 04' I believe. In the newer shows it seems to be pretty close to being in tune.

I noticed it too in one of their live shows from Germany. In the intro part of the song Nels slides something that looks like a slide, across the high parts of the strings past the bridge. My guess is that doing that puts the guitar out of tune.

I only noticed it in that one show which is from 04' I believe. In the newer shows it seems to be pretty close to being in tune.

Was that the Rockaplast show from 2004 by any chance? The sound is a little off on that one, I assume Wilco didn't get a soundcheck or the sound crew was just doing a really shitty job. It's still a pretty entertaining video, but the sound is a little rough. I am a fan of pretty much everything Nels brings to the table, but I do prefer War on War with the double acoustic guitar sound from YHF or the 2001 shows with Jay and Glenn.

--Mike

On one of his interveiws on Wilcoworld it was said that he trys to get this effect,heavy bending of strings I guess.He has been asked this question in the past and answered in kind of bashful manner.

The shows are Columbia, Montreal, and Meadowbrook that I got from a friend. The sound quality is pretty good (from the sound board). I pointed this out to a friend and he thought it sounded messed up too. I wish they would do it acoustically.

Sorry for the "S". Apologies all around.

The shows are Columbia, Montreal, and Meadowbrook that I got from a friend. The sound quality is pretty good (from the sound board). I pointed this out to a friend and he thought it sounded messed up too. I wish they would do it acoustically.

Sorry for the "S". Apologies all around.

I have the Montreal one up at the moment and it does sound a little off, not bad but the tone is not as good as he usually has it, Jeff's acoustic doesn't sound great on this one either. Don't worry too much about the typo either, there are people that get paid to spell Nels name for a living, people that review Wilco shows, that still can't get it.

--Mike

Was that the Rockaplast show from 2004 by any chance? The sound is a little off on that one, I assume Wilco didn't get a soundcheck or the sound crew was just doing a really shitty job. It's still a pretty entertaining video, but the sound is a little rough. I am a fan of pretty much everything Nels brings to the table, but I do prefer War on War with the double acoustic guitar sound from YHF or the 2001 shows with Jay and Glenn.

--Mike

It was the Rockplast Show. Your probably right about them not getting a sound check an having a bad sound crew, there are some other sound messups in that show. But it's still a great video, I love the sunglasses.

I will listen to the Montreal version tonight and get back to you with my opinion.

Edit: Actually, I just pulled up the Lollapalooza version, and it sounds good to me.

Edited by Jules

I can sort of see what your saying. If your talking about the intro part I am pretty sure nels is using some sort of screw driver/metal rod thing and sort of banging against the strings and yeah it sounds a bit out of tune but I think its the intention. I just listened to 4 or 5 different versions of the song and I can hear it sometimes but not always.