i recently bought a cd from CdBaby (Chick Graning's MT), only to find....that it was a cdr. :angry for $20 including shipping. :angry there isn't anything wrong with someone selling cdr's, especially when the artist is getting paid. but anyone doing so SHOULD SAY THAT THEY ARE SELLING CDR'S, rather than the real thing (factory-made cd's). (especially since the news story last year about some boffins researching cdr's and saying that they are likely to start to degrade after about 5 years.) i ordered it, expecting a proper cd. wish i'd known, i would have kept trying to get the original german-issue cd.

there was no mention of cdr's on their website, and despite the ever-so-nice emails about customer service, my emails to them got no reply. so...a word to the wise, and all that.

anyone else have this experience? :(

I was considering releasing an album later this year via cd baby, but perhaps that's not a good idea :unsure In reading through their information I think you, as an artist, can send them your cds and they will warehouse them for you. Maybe it's a problem coming from the artist/performer? That's pretty crappy if they simply burn the cds and then send them out. Was the cdr at least printed? I have this horrible vision of getting a cd in the mail that has been written on with sharpie.

I was considering releasing an album later this year via cd baby, but perhaps that's not a good idea :unsure In reading through their information I think you, as an artist, can send them your cds and they will warehouse them for you. Maybe it's a problem coming from the artist/performer? That's pretty crappy if they simply burn the cds and then send them out. Was the cdr at least printed? I have this horrible vision of getting a cd in the mail that has been written on with sharpie.

CD baby will pretty much sell whatever you (the artist) provide them with. I have a friend that bought some home recorded CDR's from some kids in Brazil (but for cheap, and I think he knew they were CDR's)

We pick up our CD's today from the pressing plant, and definitely plan on setting up with CD Baby.

wouldn't it be ironic, based on all of Tweedy's jokes about downloading, if wilco's new cd looked exactly like that (burned cd with "wilco" etc. written with a sharpie)?

CD Baby is a fine website. They sell and distribute whatever the artist (s) want them to sell and distribute. I suspect the CDR was exactly what the artist supplied them with. I have ordered from them many times and my main complaint is not what I ordered, but often they send additional CDs from artists they are getting rid of their crap, so sometimes you get stuff you don't want in addition to stuff you do.

Otherwise I don't think it is a bad service at all. In fact they distribute CDs by artists that you can't get through any other place.

LouieB

good to hear what all your experiences with CDB were. looks like it was the artists fault. i'm pissed off at him now. CDB's service was fast and with the funny emails and the fact that the artist gets well paid etc, i thought "this is a good site" until the cdr arrived. still, they get marks deducted for not even replying to me to say they just sell what the artist sends them, and i still think they should display on the site if an item is just a cdr.

thanks for all the feedback. :)

I sent a link for this thread to my friend who works at CD Baby. He said there is some confusion about what CD Baby is, but reiterated what has already been said here; that CD Baby is a clearinghouse, or distribution warehouse. Stuff comes in from the artist, CD Baby catalogues it, warehouses it, and sends it back out again.

The quality of the product is dependent upon the artist whose product you purchase.