good pedal for Fender Tele

That'd probably sound cool. Maybe an overdrive pedal would be good for what you do. I've heard nothing but praise for the Digitech "Bad Monkey" overdrive pedal. They sell for $40.

I also play a Tele, but haven't messed with pedals much. I only have a Danelectro $15 overdrive pedal at the moment. I'll probably get a delay pedal in the near future.

I just purchased a Fender Telecaster and I am wondering what type of pedal would accomodate a Tele well. I like to play country rock, rock blues. i was thinking of a "tremolo" pedal. Like the effect in Golden Smog and Jayhawks songs.

what do yall think?

I've played a tele since the early 90s, and dozens of pedals with same. As with any guitar/amp setup, some pedals work better than others, and all of them are going to be based on personal taste. That being said, according to the types of music you described that you'll be playing, I'd recommend:

--Overdrive: (I think the fulltone pedals are as good as it gets on overdrive, but if you check out harmony central or any other pedal boards, you'll find thousands of opinions on the hundreds of OD pedals out there. Boss has some decently priced models also, like the OS-2 Overdrive/Distorition, which offers a range of distortion and overdrive sounds...)

--Compressor: If you're going to be playing country rock, this is almost a necessity, until you've got the picking chops to simulate a compressor. This pedal can be used to get that tight, poppy sound that you hear on so many country guitar solos, etc.

--Delay: Like overdrive, there are so many options here that it's almost silly. If you're looking for a U2 type echo, then go for a digital delay. Boss again makes a great pedal and have a tap pedal that goes with it to help set tempo. For the more traditional slap-back delay that you hear Tweedy and others use at times, get an old knock-off analog delay.

--Tremelo: You've already covered this. Fun pedal if not overused to death...

--Equalizer/Boost: depending on whether you'll be playing leads (i.e. need to cut through the rest of the sound) a good EQ and/or clean boost can be great. Will amplify your signal and allow you to modify specific tones as needed.

I'd suggest checking out Harmony Central Effects for more discussion than you'd ever need on this topic.

--Neil

i took a look at the digitech on the website, looks and sounds nice. $40 isnt bad. how is the danelectro?

The Danelectro is worth the $15 they sell for. I've gotten some good sounds out of it. I don't know how long it'll hold up. It's seems fairly solid, despite being made of plastic. However, it'd probably break if someone accidentally stepped on it with all their weight.

The Danelectro is worth the $15 they sell for. I've gotten some good sounds out of it. I don't know how long it'll hold up. It's seems fairly solid, despite being made of plastic. However, it'd probably break if someone accidentally stepped on it with all their weight.

THe Dano tremolo is surprisingly nice sounding, though like all the mini series they aren't exactly built like a tank

i think i will be purchasing the Voodoo labs Tremolo, Boss CS-3 or CS-2 compressor and looking into overdrives, i like the Fulltone and the Boss for prospects.

most people hate the CS-3 (I have one and only mildly dislike it) - try to play one before you buy, if you go to a Guitar Center they will have at least at CS-3 and an MXR Dynacomp to compare.

You probably can't go wrong with a Fulldrive for country/rock, but how nice an OD sounds really depends on the amp - what kind are you using?

I've said it before... Phoexix Custom Electronics makes a pedal called the ranger.. It makes a tele go "mmmmm good" You can't go wrong , plus they are cheap compared to similiar products by other manufacturers!!!!

my 2.4 cents...

Smokestack Joe, Here is my 2 cents.

As far as Tremelo Pedals.....I really like the Demeter TRM-1 Tremulator and Fulltone Supa-Tremelo. But you might be better off getting a Fender Reissue amp.....all of the Tremelo peldals are just trying to sound like the old Frender vibe setting.

Delay.....I use a Maxon OD-9. If I had a ton of cash, I would buy a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo or Moog MF-104 MoogerFooger Analog Delay.

Compressor....I use an old Ross compressor...but I have heard good things about Maxon's CP-101 Compressor

Gain/Overdrive...nothing like a good ole' TS9. I use two TS9s modified with Analogman's Silver Mod. They are pricey but, they sound great! Nate from del mar plays a Tele and uses a Keeley Electronics Java Boost to spice up his tone. It gives him a Ryan Adams Cold Roses Sound. A combo of the Java boost and TS9 mod would be money.

If you are not doing anything tonight (9/22), you should come down to Linneman's in Mil-Town....del mar is playing and we'll be playing a ton of roots music.....I know you used to see us years ago in Whitewater.

Kurt

Edited by delmarkurt