M. Ward

Guest Rufer

Hey hey,

Saw M. Ward last night at the Birchmere. He and the band were fantastic---the dual drum kits in particular. It seemed as though it was a really short set for a guy with so many songs. He never acknowledged the loud as shit dicks who should not have purchased tickets in the bar area but they were certainly there. Maybe that's why it was a bit short.

Anyway, I don't have a setlist but he followed Oakley Hall who I appreciated more and as their set went on. The lead singing female had a very nice voice.

M. Ward got on stage at around 8:50. Played what sounded to me to be a medley of some of his acoustic rags. The set after that focused on the front half of Post-War all of which sounded excellent in person. Also included were (in no order) Story of an Artist, Big Boat, Undertaker, A Voice at the End of the Line, Four Hours in Washington, I'll Be Yr Bird (solo after break), Helicopter, Vincent O'brien.

It was all over by 10:05. I must admit, at the risk of sounding like an old man, it was nice to be back home and in bed by 11 after a great show.

Yeah a little disappointed about the short show.

I believe "Flaming Heart" was also played. My first M.Ward show, was very impressed. Matt is an excellent guitar player.

I need to look for some live shows, are there good one out there?

his set in columbus was as well he stayed on electric all night but he didn't come on till about 11:30 because the sound man dissapeared when the first band was ready to come on. Wanted to see a couple accoustic songs but it was still great for the time he was up there. We got there early trying to meet him saw him sitting outside and as we were approaching he went in for a sound check asked his manager if we could come in and listen to the sound check but he didn't want us to I guess. Seems like a shy guy, I was eager to find out if his onstage personality is his actual personality. Oh well we got to meet his friends who were pretty cool one of his friends played guitar for the national a few times, the show was still pretty awesome

Saw M. Ward in Philly on Saturday night. Forget the short show - he played for just under two hours. After about an hour of electric material, he played 3-4 songs solo acoustic, then brought the band back for another 3-4 tunes. Crowd was great - nobody yelling songs and no idiots.

After seeing him two years ago, the difference is compelling. He has a catalog of music that, like Tweedy's, includes very, very few throw-away tracks. Due to the length of the set, we basically hear three quarters of each of the last three albums.

What impressed me the most was how Matt re-arranged his own material (particularly Undertaker and Let's Dance). This is something that a lot of artists resist, but something that I look for in an artist, as I believe it shows their willingness to keep creating and move on. Dylan is the quintessential re-arranger (of course, Bobby is no re-arranging his own re-arrangements). This shows me that Matt is moving on - like Tweedy - I think Matt's sound is going to change drastically, very similar to Wilco path (Summerteeth to YHF).

Anyway, M. Ward has a sweet voice and writes decent lyrics, but the underrated part of his game is his guitar work. His tone and style are really unique and his acoustic guitar playing on the instrumental tracks really rivals anything I've ever seen.

I get the feeling that this is "that" tour where M. Ward really evolves before our eyes into a great live act (See Wilco's YHF tour). This is a must see show.

These reviews are a weird kind of torture for me since I missed his Columbus show due to this stupid bronchitis thing that's going around. So I'll have to live vicariously through your reviews, keep em coming. :ohwell Maybe I'll find some good live recordings somewhere.

Two drummers? Nice.

Maybe he'll tour around again for Post-War? :pray