Magnolia Electric Company??

yes, they're great. i saw them last night and they were awesome. my only complaint (seems to be a common one) is that their sets are pretty short. but they played both "dark don't hide it" and "riding with the ghost" which made my night. also, mr. molina is a really nice, humble dood.

• 1 year later...

Ok....I've searched for quite some time, and I can't believe no one has asked this:

I've heard Songs Ohia: Magnolia Electric Company (love it), Trials and Errors (love parts of it), and Fading Trails (dig 2-3 songs it), but what should I explore in their back catalog next? Any recommendations or albums, b-sides, splits or eps are much appreciated!

-Scott

Ok....I've searched for quite some time, and I can't believe no one has asked this:

I've heard Songs Ohia: Magnolia Electric Company (love it), Trials and Errors (love parts of it), and Fading Trails (dig 2-3 songs it), but what should I explore in their back catalog next? Any recommendations or albums, b-sides, splits or eps are much appreciated!

-Scott

Sojourner

Axxess & Ace

Sojourner

Axxess & Ace

everything is available at emusic.com...sojourner is a box set with most of the good tunes from Fading Trails and What Comes After the Blues in a new disc called Nashville Moon. That is their best band record. Songs ohia is a whole different beast as is molina solo. it's all worth checking out but takes time to digest. let us know what you think!

craig

everything is available at emusic.com...sojourner is a box set with most of the good tunes from Fading Trails and What Comes After the Blues in a new disc called Nashville Moon. That is their best band record. Songs ohia is a whole different beast as is molina solo. it's all worth checking out but takes time to digest. let us know what you think!

craig

The eMusic version doesn't have disc 3 & 4 from the box set. Nevertheless, and outstanding collection between discs 1 & 2.

the lp, and possibly the cd, are oop. they were a limited release to start with.

Yeah I know. I just don't understand why these would be bid up if you can ask a buddy on a music list for a copy or grab something from a torrent.

But I don't collect anything anymore so it's just me.

And I've lost my MEC medalion, which probably makes my copy of sojourner have a next to worthless future value.

Fading Trails is entirely made up of songs from Sojourner (none of the recordings from What Comes After The Blues are on Sojourner though, contrary to what might have previously been implied). If you like the country rock styles then Nashville Moon from that boxset is your best bet, I think it's Molina's strongest 'rock' effort since the first MEC album. Once you get into that I recommend checking out the solo albums and maybe some Songs: Ohia albums like Didn't it Rain, The Lioness, and Ghost Tropic. That style of Molina's work took me a long time to get into but it helped a lot when I found Nashville Moon and became more familiar with his more "listener friendly" albums.

The Black Ram from Sojourner is also very good (Andrew Bird guests!!) but I imagine that might be some of the songs from Fading Trails that you're having trouble getting into.

Damn, Molina has got A LOT of albums. Let me count... 16ish! Not including tons of 7" and EPs and that album with Will Oldham.

Fave in a sea of faves:

ohia-fantasma-cover.jpg

Songs: Ohia - Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma from 2001.

That is SUCH a good album, I really hope it gets re-released. Once I asked my Italian friend what it meant, I think she said "You appeared to me as a ghost".

Fading Trails is entirely made up of songs from Sojourner (none of the recordings from What Comes After The Blues are on Sojourner though, contrary to what might have previously been implied). If you like the country rock styles then Nashville Moon from that boxset is your best bet, I think it's Molina's strongest 'rock' effort since the first MEC album. Once you get into that I recommend checking out the solo albums and maybe some Songs: Ohia albums like Didn't it Rain, The Lioness, and Ghost Tropic. That style of Molina's work took me a long time to get into but it helped a lot when I found Nashville Moon and became more familiar with his more "listener friendly" albums.

The Black Ram from Sojourner is also very good (Andrew Bird guests!!) but I imagine that might be some of the songs from Fading Trails that you're having trouble getting into.

Damn, Molina has got A LOT of albums. Let me count... 16ish! Not including tons of 7" and EPs and that album with Will Oldham.

That is SUCH a good album, I really hope it gets re-released. Once I asked my Italian friend what it meant, I think she said "You appeared to me as a ghost".

I Memphis Moon is not on Sojouners, but the rest of Fading Trails is on there. None of What Comes After the Blues is on there as you said. The DVD that comes with the box set is awesome. Way too short though. As far as Songs Ohia goes, I like the Lioness and Didn't It Rain. The MEC album is great, but has some real bad tunes, like the one with the country guy singing and that woman that sings with Jason. She can be a bit annoying.

Any similar bands to this out there?

Craig

Fave in a sea of faves:

ohia-fantasma-cover.jpg

Songs: Ohia - Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma from 2001.

Saw that Trials and Errors was going for relatively high amounts on ebay. Hope this trend continues, but don't really understand why.

This one is wonderful, and I third the recommendation of Axxess and Ace.

--Mike

Saw that Trials and Errors was going for relatively high amounts on ebay. Hope this trend continues, but don't really understand why.

They only made a limited number... 10,000 cds maybe? Which doesn't seem that limited. I pulled that one out for the first time in a while, and at the time it was excellent, but they are soooooo much better live now that you're better off dl'ing one of the many recent shows from archive.org.

I Memphis Moon is not on Sojouners, but the rest of Fading Trails is on there. None of What Comes After the Blues is on there as you said. The DVD that comes with the box set is awesome. Way too short though. As far as Songs Ohia goes, I like the Lioness and Didn't It Rain. The MEC album is great, but has some real bad tunes, like the one with the country guy singing and that woman that sings with Jason. She can be a bit annoying.

Any similar bands to this out there?

Craig

Memphis Moon is track two of The Sun Session EP ;)!

I actually really like The Old Black Hen. Peoria Lunch Box Blues is good too, I just don't think whats her face has a flattering voice for that song.