Bennett's new album

no.....I do think he's a good one.......but DAMN....the man needs a working band.

--Robert.

I think he's still growing as a songwriter without Tweedy. On his solo albums he hasn't come close to any of the great Tweedy/Bennett compositions yet and it's going to be awhile before he gets out of that enormous shadow. Also getting kicked to curb (though he did certainly help write that kick me sign) after co-writing four of the greatest albums of the last twenty years is probably going to take awhile to get over. He's also fighting the opinion most people have that Wilco got better after he got tossed.

But if you take Bennett out of the Wilco shadow, which is very difficult to do, he is making some interesting albums. His newest record does show progress, yes he's going to get criticized for overproducing every album unless he makes Pink Moon. He's just got to hope eventually he'll get out of the Wilco shadow and he'll be remembered as the guy that helped enhance and co-wrote one of the most creative periods of the band's history instead of that guy with dreadlocks that Nels Cline replaced.

--Mike

The guy needs a band and to go on tour.

"Jay will be touring with a great band out of Iowa City - Death Ships and will have a full complement of merch for you to check out."

Tour dates for Jay Bennett are as follows:

October 18 Fitzgerald's Chicago, IL

October 19 Cowboy Monkey Champaign, IL

October 20 The Picador Iowa City, IA

October 21 Off Broadway St. Louis, MO

October 22 3rd & Lindsley Nashville, TN

October 23 Uncle Pleasant's Louisville, KY

October 24 Club Café Pittsburgh, PA

October 27 Iota Arlington, VA

October 28 The Manhattan Room Philadelphia, PA

October 30 Union Hall Brooklyn, NY

October 31 Joe's Pub New York, NY

November 1 Middle East Boston, MA

He's also fighting the opinion most people have that Wilco got better after he got tossed.

--Mike

I respectfully disagree.

Sometimes 'overproduced' results in repeated listenings where you always seem to hear a little note or riff you never caught before...If you're in for the long haul with an album that's kind of a benefit.

"Jay will be touring with a great band out of Iowa City - Death Ships and will have a full complement of merch for you to check out."

Tour dates for Jay Bennett are as follows:

October 18 Fitzgerald's Chicago, IL

October 19 Cowboy Monkey Champaign, IL

October 20 The Picador Iowa City, IA

October 21 Off Broadway St. Louis, MO

October 22 3rd & Lindsley Nashville, TN

October 23 Uncle Pleasant's Louisville, KY

October 24 Club Café Pittsburgh, PA

October 27 Iota Arlington, VA

October 28 The Manhattan Room Philadelphia, PA

October 30 Union Hall Brooklyn, NY

October 31 Joe's Pub New York, NY

November 1 Middle East Boston, MA

ATTENTION ALL TAPERS!!!!! :music

-Robert.

• 3 weeks later...

ive given this record a lot of listens to make a opinion on it. I was somewhat expectational going into this record after what i thought were excellent Bennett records that preceded this one.

upon first listen i was disappointed because of my expectation. i was looking for more God's Coffee and Genevera type stuff. I think Defeat delievered some of that music, Thank You and Surveying the Damage come to mind.

I was unnattached to songs like Phonebook and the first track, too much overlapping noise, hard to listen to.

My most liked track is Im Feeling Fine, i love the piano/harmony/"woohoo-ing" parts, it is a great song.

Good as Gold is a simple song that reflects Tweedy pennings. It flows right into "Forever" or "From Here to Eternity" (whatever the hidden track is called) Bennett is backed by WEST OF ROME (milwaukee band, yes!) a loose bluesy jam. it seems like Bennett rescued this track from the Being There vault.

I like Bennett's music, he takes chances, tries to be his own musician.