Bennett's new album

Fair or not, any discussion about Jay Bennett must include mention of his exit from indie rock kingpins Wilco, so we might as well get it out of the way early on.

umm this was pretty much a Wilco article. He talked about them the entire time. However I didn't know he had a new album out, I'll have to check it out.

Hey, Oil Can -

Is that an intentional juxtaposition of the Talking Heads quote ("Say something once, why say it again?") with Billy Bragg ("Say one thing over and over and over, just with a different tune")? :lol

Ha! Not at all. (But I was also not aware of that Bragg quote. What is it from?)

I have had this album for a couple of days now. My first impressions after a couple of listens is the same to every other Jay Bennett solo effort (the Bennett Burch discs notwithstanding). I want to go up to Jay Bennett and scream at him, "For Fucksakes, man! 1000 different effects on a song do not make it good!"

Jay's words are great, Jay's vocals are unique, but when put together with a producer that sounds like he has just discovered pro-tools the outcome is crap. Stop with the effects. I think Jay's production ruined this record. The vocals are so muddled; music is obscured by layer upon layer of instruments and weird ass sounds. You know one or maybe two songs like this are ok, but when it is 13 songs it ends up hurting my head. It is great that Jay can play 50 instruments I just would he would not do it on one song.

Jay's best work has always been in collaboration with others (Tweedy and Burch). Jay desperately needs someone to tell him no, or to stop.

With that being said there are some moments on the record. I like "5th Grade" and "Survey the Damage." I don't think I will ever listen to this album as whole again, it will be one of those that I will be shuffled in my iPod.

Whoa.....this is all so boring, which is why I can't even believe I am saying this for the umpteenth time. The guy needs a band and to go on tour. Otherwise he is going to keep putting out mediocre albums for the rest of his career.....

I don't even bother listening to him anymore, sadly and I like the guy.

LouieB

Referring to some of the comments in the review...I don't think for a second that Tweedy would say that A.M. was an open letter to Farrar, or that he's even recorded a song written exclusively about Farrar.

I would disagree. I may be wrong however.

Edited by Rufer