So apparently Jack White wrote these "avant garde orchestral songs," recorded them, and is putting them out on XL Recordings. I just listened to three tracks posted on the myspace, http://www.myspace.com/alumiiinium , and some of its sounds pretty cool. Its called ALUMIIINIUM, and its kind of weird. MySpace has the whole press release etc. on there.

i don't think jack white has anything to do with it, they are just the stripes songs.

i don't think jack white has anything to do with it, they are just the stripes songs.

wrong:

ALUMINIUM, is an album of avant garde orchestral recordings of music written by Jack White of The White Stripes. It was recorded between August 2005 and February 2006 at Intimate Studios in Wapping (London), using a specially assembled orchestra comprising many of the UK’s finest young classical musicians.

The album will be available exclusively through the Aluminium website as a numbered limited edition of 3,333 CDs, 999 LPs and an unlimited download format with electronic booklet. There will also be an exclusive Aluminium toy available on the site. The album and toy will be available to pre-order from November 6th 2006.

Long time White Stripes collaborator, Rob Jones, created a series of 10 images to accompany the album. These images will be printed up as cards and packaged with both the CD and LP formats. In addition to this, the LP format will include a section of an original Rob Jones silk screen print.

The images are available to view on the Aluminium MySpace site, and as part of a wider Rob Jones exhibition which is currently showing at the Richard Goodall Gallery in Manchester.

On hearing Aluminium, choreographer Wayne McGregor included tracks from the album in a new piece that he is putting together for the Royal Ballet. The piece will be performed at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden this November.

www.alumiiinium.com

www.myspace.com/alumiiinium

www.xlrecordings.com

www.richardgoodallgallery.com

Actually, Bold is right...Jack White had nothing to do with it. The album is orchestral recordings of "music written by Jack White." This article's from Pitchfork:

If Aphex Twin and Metallica can go symphonic, why not everybody's favorite coed, color-coordinated guitar-and-drums duo the White Stripes? XL Recordings founder Richard Russell didn't just ponder the possibilities-- he done did it, recruiting British film and television composer Joby Talbot and "many of the UK's finest young classical musicians" (according to a publicist) to record an entire album of orchestral interpretations of White Stripes songs.

Russell and Tablot christened their project Aluminium, in reference to the Stripes song but with a British spelling to emphasize their place of origin, a good ocean and a half away from Meg and Jack's native Detroit. Aluminium's self-titled debut arrives (for pre-order) November 6 and features ten Stripes covers, including "Aluminum" (retaining the original spelling), "The Hardest Button to Button", and more.

This ain't your prance-y Mozart shit either. These orchestral renditions have a decidedly modern bent, incorporating plenty of odd percussion, dissonance, and jarring tempos-- particularly the almost-title track. Listen to a few tunes from Aluminium's album on their MySpace.

Aluminium will be available exclusively through the band's website, and limited to 3,333 CD and 999 vinyl copies. It features artwork by long-time Stripes designer Rob Jones, and vinyl LPs come with an original Jones silk screen print. In addition, a special Aluminium toy will be available for purchase on the same date the album arrives.

Aluminium's music is already turning heads: Russell played some early recordings to Jack and Meg last year, and reported on the XL website that the Stripes gave them a ringing endorsement. "Jack said that the music is beautiful, and that he's flattered, and that it's an honour," Russell wrote.

Meanwhile, choreographer Wayne McGregor will include several pieces from Aluminium in a ballet to be performed at London's Royal Opera House this November.

Aluminium:

01 Aluminum

02 I'm Bound to Pack It Up

03 Why Can't You Be Nicer to Me

04 Astro

05 Never Far Away

06 Little Bird

07 Let's Build a Home

08 Who's a Big Baby

09 The Hardest Button to Button

10 Forever for Her

Actually, Bold is right...Jack White had nothing to do with it. The album is orchestral recordings of "music written by Jack White." This article's from Pitchfork:

ah, i guess i didn't see the tracklist, cuz the initial article made it sound like Jack wrote some orchestral music specifically for the project (ie: not all White Stripes songs)

i know he didn't play on it, but i thought he worked w/ them on it, my bad. they should clear that up, because it's been the assumption that Jack did have something to do w/ this project on numerous forums i'm on because of that confusing initial PR.

thanks, i don't read Pfork's news much :)