Elvis Costello + friends

How do you define "no-brainer"? Maybe this: a free Elvis Costello show not half a mile from my flat. Elvis held up his end of the bargain beautifully with a mix of newer songs, older but somewhat rarely played favorites, and inspired covers, in both solo acoustic treatment and with a sparkling backing band.

But then he invited Emmylou Harris onstage, and they did three songs together, including "I Still Miss Someone." And then Gillian Welch and David Rawlings joined them for even more chestnuts, such as a joyously rousing "Mystery Train." For the encore, we got more of Elvis and band ("Mystery Dance," "What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding," and "There's a Story in Your Voice," though without Lucinda), as well as the return of Emmylou, Gillian, and David.

In the end, we heard two hours of music, witness oodles of onstage magnetism, and left as giddy concert-goers. The sun even came out (for about five minutes)!

p.s. Andrew, please accept this as my apology for not seeing Emmylou this weekend. She was as beautiful as ever!

p.s. Andrew, please accept this as my apology for not seeing Emmylou this weekend. She was as beautiful as ever!

He's got nice friends.

Apology accepted :cheers . Sounds like you witnessed some magic there. I was thinking that if he was hanging around he might join in on Sunday, but it looks like she got there early and joined him. He may still well reciprocate. They have done this sort of thing alot.

I checked your blog and saw the JoJo write up. I was about to post this (or a better picture which I could not find) to express my outrage at your blasphemy:-

BrianPic1.jpg... but reading on it seemed to all turn out alright on the night :D

I will miss your report from Sunday though :ninja

I was thinking that if he was hanging around he might join in on Sunday, but it looks like she got there early and joined him. He may still well reciprocate.

He's scheduled to perform with T-Bone Burnett on Sunday, so who knows what supergroup formations and cover choices might possibly ensue?

P.S. since the previous post I've got two new rear tyres. Does it show?

Is that some British charming colloquialism that doesn't translate to these shores?

Those pictures look twangy. :P

Oh, if you think they look twangy, you should've heard 'em, brother! Elvis wore a rootsy outfit--the others, not so much.

Elvis sure is a busy guy.

He mentioned it was his third visit to the Bay Area this year (once with the symphony, another with Allen Toussaint). I don't know how we got so lucky. :D

Is that some British charming colloquialism that doesn't translate to these shores?

For once, no.

What you missed (with EC popping up in a couple of places) - grabbed from somewhere else:-

Emmylou (performing with John Starling and Carolina Star) closed the festival. Here's the set list:

Roses in the Snow

Blue Kentucky Girl

Sweet Dreams

One of These Days

Millworker

Lodi

If I Be Lifted Up

If I Could Only Win Your Love

Satan's Jewel Crown

Green Pastures

Wheels

Pancho and Lefty (trading verses w/John Starling)

Making Believe

Those Memories of You (duet w/John Starling)

Jordan

Get Up John

Green Rolling Hills of West Virginia (duet with Hazel Dickens)

On Friday, Emmylou had joined Elvis Costello for duets on I Still Miss Someone and Love Hurts and then Gillian Welch and David Rawlings joined them for Must You Throw Dirt in My Face, Mystery Train, The Scarlet Tide and When I Paint My Masterpiece.

On Saturday, Emmylou put in an appearance at Gillian and Dave's set--as a trio, they performed Don't Leave Nobody But The Baby. Also, this afternoon, Elvis Costello and T Bone Burnet did an acoustic set as the Coward Brothers and Sister Emmylou Coward joined them for The Scarlet Tide.

In addition to Emmylou, Elvid Costello, and Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, we saw some amazing music by Steve Earle and the Bluegrass Dukes, Iris DeMent, Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison, Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez, The Del McCourey Band, Todd Snider, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Billy Bragg, and Verlon Thompson, Allison Moorer, Tim O'Brien and Cornbread Nation, and Ricky Scaggs with Kentucky Thunder. As for Tim O'Brien, his sister Mollie joined him for Orphan Girl-- they were the first to record it-- and I realized that this was the first festival I've ever attended in which both Emmylou and Gillian appeared, yet the only artist I heard perform Orphan Girl was Mollie O'Brien.

Gill and Dave's set was wonderful. One of the highlights was a version of Grateful Dead's China Doll (the first time they'd ever sung it in public) and another highlight was a sizzling version of the Johnny Cash and June Carter classic, Jackson.

I managed to get one decent shot on Friday:

You can tell that Emmylou isn't Welsh - forced to the back, no ruck and maul skills there!

Actually, I saw here at Cambridge when watching Eddie Reader from the VIP area at the side (all very low key, which was nice) a few hours before she went on. All I can say is: "the miracle of hairspray", even though I treasure her dearly.

And this is what San Francisco looks like when the sun comes out:

I know! We were told on our visit that we were very lucky not to have "The Fog" in attendance. We stayed with a guy (friends of our real friends, living down in Silicon Valley somewhere I forget) who, during Vietnam military service (he was a doctor) was stationed at that fort by the end of Golden Gate Bridge. He said he could hardly ever see the bridge.

How do you define "no-brainer"? Maybe this: a free Elvis Costello show not half a mile from my flat.
From mine too, but I still managed to miss it!

But then he invited Emmylou Harris onstage, and they did three songs together, including "I Still Miss Someone."
:wub

Hee!

I managed to get one decent shot on Friday:

elvis_600.jpg

And this is what San Francisco looks like when the sun comes out:

elvis02_300.jpg

Nice stuff! Looked like we missed a very pretty weekend here.

I know! We were told on our visit that we were very lucky not to have "The Fog" in attendance. We stayed with a guy (friends of our real friends, living down in Silicon Valley somewhere I forget) who, during Vietnam military service (he was a doctor) was stationed at that fort by the end of Golden Gate Bridge. He said he could hardly ever see the bridge.
It's not summer in SF without that blanket of it...

The Chronicle's review, with some decent pictures. You've got to hand it to Warren Hellman.

From mine too, but I still managed to miss it!

Ahh well, you had a very good excuse. Hope your mom hit the jackpot!

EDIT Shock horror!

Hellman_Warren.jpg

He's chairman of the company that owns most of the one I work for!

Maybe it's time for you to take a business trip out here (though I did think to myself when he took the stage, "Who's that guy who looks like a cleaned-up Harry Dean Stanton?")

Ahh well, you had a very good excuse. Hope your mom hit the jackpot!

She's the only one of us who came home with any money, she's about $300 richer than she was on Friday, so that's not too shabby. :D

I think Andrew is deserving of some kind of VIP pass to next year's festival... for all your years of dedication to the company, maybe? :unsure :yes

I think Andrew is deserving of some kind of VIP pass to next year's festival... for all your years of dedication to the company, maybe? :unsure :yes

They only bought us in June. Maybe I'll get a chance for a quick word with him during his next visit when I'm dishing out the tea and executive afternoon macaroons from the trolley.

Also, JoJo ticket now in my grubby paws - "London" does exist after all!

They only bought us in June. Maybe I'll get a chance for a quick word with him during his next visit when I'm dishing out the tea and executive afternoon macaroons from the trolley.

I sense a Jeeves and Wooster revival percolating:

jawooster4_1.jpg