Cindy Sheehan, Nobel Prize finalist

Nobel peace prize eh?

Kind of ironic that the peace prize (and all other prizes, economics, etc) are named after the inventor of TNT

I love that

Its not ironic considering the fact that he set up the prizes BECAUSE he felt bad about inventing dynamite.

"The erroneous publication in 1888 of a premature obituary of Nobel by a French newspaper, condemning his invention of dynamite, is said to have made him decide to leave a better legacy to the world after his death. The obituary stated "Le marchand de la mort est mort" ("The merchant of death is dead") and went on to say, "Dr. Alfred Nobel, who became rich by finding ways to kill more people faster than ever before, died yesterday.""

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew he started the prizes because he felt bad about inventing dynamite, but I never heard the part about the obit before. Can you picture that happening today in our news-crazed, digg-happy society?

I would never argue that she doesn't have the same right to free speech that we all enjoy. I just think that given the volume her voice gathered, she could have used it more effectively if her goal was to foster opposition to the war. hanging with the likes of chavez and making some of the incendiary remarks she has made isn't the most effective use of that voice, in my opinion.

Of course why would anyone talk with Hugo Chavez? Aftrer all he is such a threat to our country that we were involved in a coup to overthrow him. Obviously anything he says against the president or our policies has to be taken in that context though. Though simply criticizing our president's policies brings out the hate from all different right angles. They call anyone who criticizes Bush Policy to be Bush bashers instead of simply being people who disagree with his policies and how they fuck up our country. Here is my direct and personal Bush bash...I think It's time to remake it's a wonderful life except this time it's George Bush who is never born and it turns out that the world is a better place without him. Clarence then gives up his dream of getting his wings and takes up the bottle full time. Here is non-Bush Bashing. I disagre witht he medicare bill written by the white house and the drug companies. This bill screws the American Taxpayer. I Disagree withFaith based programs getting tax dollars. To me it is simply a political ploy to get money to these politically supportive organizations. I disagree with the Iraq policy. I disagree with the approach to Iran

It amazes me that people can criticize or question the motives of a mother who has lost her son in war. Or believe that two months is long enough to be done mourning the fact you attended the funeral of your child.

Even if she is a money-hungry publicity-starved freak. I dont care. She has the right to be.

I don't think anyone who disagrees w/ W is a 'Bush Basher'...but the choice of rehtoric used to voice opposition sometimes diffuses the validity of the core policy or action the person is rallying against.

He and his adminstration have done a horrible job...stick to the hard facts of why that is and quit slinging all the other bullshit epitaphs around and we might get somewhere. Damn.

You have to admit, though, that many Bush supporters would have people who disagree with Bush labeled as "Bush haters."

People who disagree with Bush are already called cowards, traitors, etc., so the (low) level of discourse is (although unacceptable) totally understandable.

You have to admit, though, that many Bush supporters would have people who disagree with Bush labeled as "Bush haters."

People who disagree with Bush are already called cowards, traitors, etc., so the (low) level of discourse is (although unacceptable) totally understandable.

a large percentage of the people who disagree with him do tend to be bush haters though, you must admit. I disagree with a large percent of what the current administration does, but when people I know say "Bush is such an idiot...", I start to tune them out. Like El El said, its pretty easy to discount the administration on its own "merits" without saying he doesn't know how to speak, that he's an idiot, and how he's his daddy's boy, etc.

You have to admit, though, that many detractors of Bush would have people who don't vocally disagree with Bush labeled as "Bush Backers."

People who even slightly agree with Bush are already called neo-cons, red staters, uneducated idiots, hillbillies, racists, evil, facists, nazis, etc., so the (low) level of discourse is (although unacceptable) totally understandable.

C'mon, this is a two way street and anybody who wants to say they're so oppressed for not supporting Bush can cry me a river...people get in an uproar on both sides of the fence and start slinging stereotypes and generalizations...same result, the actual point gets lost.

Again, it's hilarious, because I think he's one of the worst presidents ever to hold office...but the ludicrous babble from more vocal detractors sometimes gets me to a point of not wanting to publicly admit i'm a Democrat. It's embarassing.

Of course why would anyone talk with Hugo Chavez? Aftrer all he is such a threat to our country that we were involved in a coup to overthrow him. Obviously anything he says against the president or our policies has to be taken in that context though. Though simply criticizing our president's policies brings out the hate from all different right angles. They call anyone who criticizes Bush Policy to be Bush bashers instead of simply being people who disagree with his policies and how they fuck up our country. Here is my direct and personal Bush bash...I think It's time to remake it's a wonderful life except this time it's George Bush who is never born and it turns out that the world is a better place without him. Clarence then gives up his dream of getting his wings and takes up the bottle full time. Here is non-Bush Bashing. I disagre witht he medicare bill written by the white house and the drug companies. This bill screws the American Taxpayer. I Disagree withFaith based programs getting tax dollars. To me it is simply a political ploy to get money to these politically supportive organizations. I disagree with the Iraq policy. I disagree with the approach to Iran
Guest tandylacker
As far as your idiotic remarks about his Habitat For Humanity involvement, anyone who takes issue with his passion for this cause is purely insensitive. Do you object to him working for a charity of any kind, or is it that he's helping poor people that upsets you? He's also helped to ensure fair elections in third world countries and has been very involved in charitable work through his church. Do you find those ideals and efforts stupid as well?

I'm surprised you would ask me those questions... Clearly from what I had written before, it is obvious that poor people piss me off!

Poor people piss me off big time! And the efforts you listed were stupid!

ADVICE: Your blood pressure is a good thing to keep low.