So, my OiNK account got terminated because of my d/u ratio thingy. I just couldn't get the uploading to work. I consider myself a smart man, and one that is fairly computer literate, but I couldn't figure out why I couldn't upload to seeders, or even upload my own torrent. I tried uploading a Ben Kweller boot from the Point in Bryn Mawr PA from 2000... but for some reason it wouldn't work.

Well, so now I don't have Oink... which sucks!!!!

Question 1 - if I were to get a new invite, would I be able to reregister under new user name and pw etc?

Question 2 - anyone wanna invite me so I can try to make right and fix my u/dl issues?

Question 3 - If I get a new account, would anyone wanna walk me through verifying that my UL capabilities are all set?

Thanks

britt.boas@comcast.net

Analogman will probably be along shortly to provide a link to the site that explains port forwarding.

Was your issue that you weren't "clever"? That's what port forwarding will fix.

I don't know what your re-registering options are. I have no idea how Oink tracks that kind of thing.

actually... I was listed/designated as "clever"

I believe I had the port forwading all set. When I first got the warning. I dl'd a couple VERY popular torrents, with lots of seeders. In hopes to be able to rectify or at last improve my ratio. Well... I would DL the torrent it would start say I was seeding, say ther where a lot of seeds, but never actually connect to any seeds and never UL a single bit of data.

I really want to get back on and do it right, so any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

you could get a second invite if you used a different email address. I did it for a certain Welsh man.

I haven't used Oink in a while for some of the same reasons. Even with my ports all correctly forwarded, my upload rate was horrid--which I eventually concluded was my ISP. It was damn near impossible to maintain a decent ratio. I was actually on the verge of being banned last year before that holiday-free-for-all when no dls counted against you, and there was enough activity during that period that my ratio finally soared to about 2.0...and I've been coasting on that ever since b/c my ratio has been gradually trickling down all year. I actually haven't used the site in months, but I log in now and then just so they don't wipe out my account.

Another problem I had was that Azureus always seemed to have problems with the worm-protection with my Norton AntiVirus, so I'd end up having to turn off worm protection just to use it...and then within a day my computer would be running dog slow and I'd have to scan it and clear off the malicious code I'd acquired (interestingly, I've not run into that problem when connected to other BT sites, tho it may be a coincidence). Anyway, it wasn't really worth my time to plow through it and figure it out, so I pretty much don't use it right now.

You can use IRC to go to the #oink-help channel and beg. They will usually give low ratio people a SINGLE second chance. Read all the rules and all the tutorials, including the EAC thingy that jiggafellaz put together. Upload like crazy, and your ratio issue will be solved.

You'd be surprised how many people get bounced from the site due to low ratio.

actually... I was listed/designated as "clever"

I believe I had the port forwading all set. When I first got the warning. I dl'd a couple VERY popular torrents, with lots of seeders. In hopes to be able to rectify or at last improve my ratio. Well... I would DL the torrent it would start say I was seeding, say ther where a lot of seeds, but never actually connect to any seeds and never UL a single bit of data.

I really want to get back on and do it right, so any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Oh - well that is what everyone tries to do. I upload my own stuff - I don't even bother seeding something I snagged. I have now put up over 200 torrents. I use to run torrents every day and night - but I am not doing that anymore. Due to the rule changes, stuff stays up longer now - so I have about 60 torrents I have uploaded up there now. I am running out of hard drive space and I also wonder if I am not putting a hurting on my computer/router by all this activity. If you get back on, dig around in the request section. I see something almost everyday that I could put up there. Also - stick to V0 or FLAC rips - people seem to like those.

use to run torrents every day and night - but I am not doing that anymore. Due to the rule changes, stuff stays up longer now - so I have about 60 torrents I have uploaded up there now. I am running out of hard drive space and I also wonder if I am not putting a hurting on my computer/router by all this activity.

I used to have my torrents running overnight too, but now I don't bother that often. It seems when I do, I can upload a gig or two without trying much :) I think my buffer is in the 30-40 gig range.

I used to have my torrents running overnight too, but now I don't bother that often. It seems when I do, I can upload a gig or two without trying much :) I think my buffer is in the 30-40 gig range.

I think I have 15 or 16 on there. I am thinking of delelting my account actually - I seldom find what I want on there. I would like to make it to 1 TB though - just for kicks.

The easiest way to get your ratio up is to upload your own CDs (I know it's been said before, but I thought I would reiterate it). I'm fairly new to Oink and got into ratio problems very early after downloading a Who discography.

So I stopped downloading altogether and re-read everything. Be sure to take time to forward your ports and make sure everything is okay with ISP and Firewall issues and then scan through the request pages for CDs you can upload yourself. Using EAC is very important, too.

After doing that, my ratio is now always hovering around 3.000.

Good point about EAC - plus I always check my stuff before I put it up. Also - for those of you who use itunes - don't play your torrents in itunes and then try to seed them - it is my understanding that itunes changes the files somehow.

Guest tandylacker

Just a few points from a semi-new oink user...

iTunes does not change the file if you have iTunes 7 or above and unselect the options such as the iTunes Library Consolidater and such. Any audio adjusting options will change the file also just enough that the torrent won't recognize it.

Uploading your own stuff is the only logical way to increase your ratio. There are many people that do not upload and do fine, but for quick ratio savers, upload! Check for torrents on Oink that are at lower bitrates. Several times I have seen 192 mp3s up and just uploaded a 320 mp3 and took all that torrents activity away. Its great! And no matter how ridiculous your upload is, people will take it. I uploaded the Nitty Gritty Dirt band greatest hits, (bought it at Hastings for $2), I have now uploaded about 2 GB from it. Not bad!

Only download torrents that have lots of recent snatches. Check out dates uploaded and last activity. Typically VO is the best, FLAC does well but a waste of ratio and if you just use an iPod or similar, then a waste of time too.

If you get banned, you cannot be reinvited. You can beg your way on... If someone invites you, they will lose their invite privelages... I think it is your IP they will recognize, not your e-mail.

Most importantly... If your ratio sucks, quit downloading!

If you need any advice when you get back on, fell free to PM me...

But don't ask anyone to reinvite you, you'll just get them in trouble.

Just a few points from a semi-new oink user...

iTunes does not change the file if you have iTunes 7 or above and unselect the options such as the iTunes Library Consolidater and such. Any audio adjusting options will change the file also just enough that the torrent won't recognize it.

Only download torrents that have lots of recent snatches. Check out dates uploaded and last activity. Typically VO is the best, FLAC does well but a waste of ratio and if you just use an iPod or similar, then a waste of time too.

I really will only take stuff that is in FLAC - but then again, I do not own an ipod or want one. I mentioned the thing about itunes because I have seen a thousand threads about it on there.

Guest tandylacker
I really will only take stuff that is in FLAC - but then again, I do not own an ipod or want one. I mentioned the thing about itunes because I have seen a thousand threads about it on there.

Understand the FLAC and you are definitely correct on iTunes. It would always change the songs up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago when iTunes 7 came out...

Rock on!

Here's the deal with IP addresses...

Most people have a "dynamic" address. They get a new one each time they connect to their provider. So if you reset your cable/DSL you will generally have a new one. Use a different email address, user name, and clear your cookies first and there should be know way they would know it's you.